News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Michał Bergson

Started by markniew, Monday 09 November 2020, 18:21

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

When a work like this is unearthed, it makes you wonder what else might be 'out there', perhaps especially by composers from eastern Europe.

markniew

On the reproduction of the manuscript given on the booklet cover and inside the booklet we can read "1iere Concerto" what in French means 1st Concerto.  This suggests that Bergson may have composed another concerto / other concertos - possibly for other solo instruments. There is no mention about this in the booklet notes. Perhaps eschiss1 has more information.

Mark Thomas

It doesn't necessarily imply a second concerto, it may well simply be that Bergson was writing that this was his "first" concerto. In the absence of any record of a Piano Concerto No.2, that seems more likely than the surviving autograph being a copy made some time after he'd composed a second one.

Gareth Vaughan

Oh, one must be very careful about imagining that the title "1st Concerto" or "1st Symphony" or "1st" anything implies other exercises in the genre from the same pen. For example, Holst's "Choral Symphony" was published as "First Choral Symphony". There were no others, albeit he may have intended to write them.

eschiss1

There are some concertante works by him for wind instruments (3 concert-arias for clarinet, 2 fantasias for flute) and orchestra, though, if that matters. Also a polka de concert for military band. I see that the concerto symphonique's material can be viewed in the digitized material section at Northwestern University.

razorback

Unfortunately for me the Bergson cd appears available only to those residing in the EU.  The DUX site only allows me to go so far in the ordering process and that's it.  I believe it has something to do with the pandemic.  Has anyone outside the EU had a similar experience?

Alan Howe

QuoteUnfortunately for me the Bergson cd appears available only to those residing in the EU

Hopefully this will change - give it some time. Meanwhile keep looking on Amazon, jpc, etc.

Mark Thomas

QuoteUnfortunately for me the Bergson cd appears available only to those residing in the EU
The UK (where I live) is no longer in the EU, of course, and so that in itself doesn't seem to be the problem.

Alan Howe

I'm sure it's just a matter of when it'll be released outside Poland.

Alan Howe

For those who want hear the Concerto symphonique, here's a video recording of this rather fine piece with the same performers as on the CD (starts at 13:20):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RYYqF2pYhI

terry martyn

I was too cowardly to order the CD from an apparently unsafe website, but I am growing impatient. Has anyone an update on distribution outside Poland?

Alan Howe

It's due from Amazon:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Concerto-Symphonique-Bergson-Plowright-Borowicz/dp/B08T4H7DXT/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=concerto+symphonique&qid=1612520900&sr=8-1

('Temporarily out of stock' just means that supplies haven't come in yet. Anyone interested can sign up to be notified when it becomes available, which is what I've done.)

terry martyn

Thank you!   So have I.

mikehopf

It's out and it's good!