Gustav Strube (1867-1953) Viola Sonata, etc

Started by Martin Eastick, Sunday 01 November 2020, 17:27

Previous topic - Next topic

Martin Eastick

I had never come across the German-American Gustav Strube before, but have noted with considerable interest this new Centaur release which features his 1925 viola sonata, as well as works by Arthur Foote and Rebecca Clarke. A very brief description on the Records International website mentions "conservative Germanic Romanticism" - which is fine by me! Further investigation of Strube reveals that he wrote at least 3 violin concertos (1907-1943), and a Symphony (1910) amongst other orchestral works, as well as an enticing quantity of chamber music!

Alan Howe

Mark Thomas

There are digital realisations of Strube's B minor Symphony on YouTube here, and of his Comedy Overture, Puck here.

Alan Howe

I had a quick listen to the former and gave up on account of boredom. Must have been a bad day - will try again. Or maybe it was the rendition (old-style electronic) which put me off.

The music has some promising passages, e.g. some excitingly-built climaxes in the first movement. But we badly need a better rendition.

Martin Eastick

Alan, firstly another apology for not inserting the appropriate link! I do agree that the symphony does not promise much from the rather poor electronic rendition available, but, as you say, it would be wrong to write off solely on that rather primitive account! However,I have higher hopes for the viola sonata - I hope they are not misplaced, and perhaps if this release creates some interest, others may be tempted to look at some of the other chamber music at least! 

Mark Thomas

...and my apologies are due for not listening to much of the Symphony before I posted the link. I'm afraid that the ear does tire very quickly of this primitive electronic sound. It seems to me, though, that the work might have some promise when heard in full orchestral garb. Although melodically not very distinctive, it's not too long and relatively perky in enough places to counterbalance the rhapsodising elsewhere. The Puck Overture is livelier, although its suffers from the same digital drawback. The jury, I guess, will have to stay out for some time.

Alan Howe

QuoteAlan, firstly another apology for not inserting the appropriate link!

It's no problem at all.

eschiss1

Re Strube's symphony: it can be seen in full score here, fwiw.

semloh

Thanks for drawing attention to this release, Alan. A couple of the pieces by Foote and Clarke are available elsewhere, but the Strube pieces and Foote's Viola Sonata are new to me. I hope we will be able hear some samples in due course!