News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Antoni Kątski

Started by markniew, Monday 09 November 2020, 18:32

Previous topic - Next topic

markniew

Another interesting news from the DUX label.
Two piano sonatas by Antoni Kątski [Kontsky] (1816–1899)
http://www.dux.pl/katski-sonaty-fortepianowe-parkita.html

eschiss1

Yay!
The composer maybe best-known for the Caprice "Reveil du Lion" will get some recording attention, this is a good thing. (aka Antoine de Kontski, Brother of Karol, Apollinaire and Stanisław de Kontski, all also performer-composers.)

BTW if Dux has better evidence for 1816 over 1817 for Antoni's birthdate, I say, with interest rather than challenge and sincere desire to correct the material I have access to (which material may not be all that up-to-date, I'll have to double-check), I want to hear it of course!

Alan Howe

Are these works played on a fortepiano, though? If so, I'd be too nervous to buy it!

Mark Thomas

1881 seems awfully late for a Fortepiano Sonata. Might "fortepianowa" be Polish for "Pianoforte"?

Alan Howe

It seems so, yes. Just wondering...

Mark Thomas

The Second Sonata has rather lop-sided proportions: the first three movements each around five minutes and the finale lasting thirteen. The piano pieces on YouTube all sound rather trite, so I'll hold off until I read a review, I think.

eschiss1

A performance of the finale of the first sonata. (The same pianist has actually recorded the whole sonata, a search easily finds)

Christopher

Quote from: Mark Thomas on Monday 09 November 2020, 22:15
1881 seems awfully late for a Fortepiano Sonata. Might "fortepianowa" be Polish for "Pianoforte"?

It certainly is in some other languages.

Wheesht

The Cambridge English-Polish Dictionary has 'fortepian' as the translation of grand piano (and pianino for an upright piano).

markniew

Yes, I confirm that fortepian in Polish means exclusively piano (grand piano).
As to fortepiano (predecessor of piano) it is also in Polish called fortepiano.