News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Robin Milford (1903-1959)

Started by britishcomposer, Wednesday 07 December 2011, 15:25

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

does it have a slow introduction? Maybe that's what the "Andante" refers to. Often (too often, even for much better known repertoire works' first movements) the introduction's tempo is given and not that of a main tempo (not that there's always just -one- "introductory" tempo or "main" tempo, of course, and not that that scheme always fits every work...)

Justin

You can listen to the recording I uploaded in the downloads board, but no, it starts off with a bouncy opening.

"Allegro" would be more appropriate if you use a simple tempo marking.

Gareth Vaughan

I agree, Justin - but there it is. Andante is the marking. Metronome mark: dotted crotchet = 72.

Justin

Gareth, could you confirm that your copy of the score shows Op. 34?

Gareth Vaughan

I can and do so confirm. I have just listened to the first movt. of your download with the score. It is the same work.

Justin

Thank you.

Strange marking, but it sounds great at the tempo set in the recording.

semloh

I had actually e-mailed the London Music Press to ask for the markings - but no reply yet. In the meantime, Gareth has supplied the information. Our wonderful UC members never fail to impress!  ;)

Hector

Thank you for posting this. I rather like it despite being a bit dubious about the mock-Tudor sound of some the first movement, and the finale which sounds like that of a suite rather than a symphony - but never mind! It is well written, engaging and has emotional depth in parts. I was surprised to find so few recordings by Milford, his music is surely commercial?

semloh

I have to say that I rather like the "mock Tudor" element, maybe because it makes a nice accompaniment to the TV series "Monarchy" which we are currently going through and have arrived at Henry VIII.
I agree, it sound more like a suite (even a film suite) than a symphony. Enjoyable rather than profound.
I never heard back from the London Music Press, BTW.