In search of Keilberth's missing Braunfels recording (op. 36), a call for help

Started by Rainolf, Saturday 19 December 2020, 19:15

Previous topic - Next topic

Rainolf

On this day, 138 years ago, Walter Braunfels was born. So this is maybe a good opportunity to ask you for help considering a special recording of his Prelude and Fugue for orchestra op. 36.

The label Aldilà Records plans to release an edition with recordings of Joseph Keilberth which show this famous conductor as an advocate of music by his contemporaries. It will contain works by Heinrich Kaminski, Paul Hindemith, Reinhard Schwarz-Schilling and Karl Höller. Also it was planned to include Keilberth's recording of Braunfels's Prelude and Fugue. That Keilberth made a radio recording of this work for the WDR is documented, but unfortunately the tape of this could not be found yet.

So I want to ask you, if someone of you possesses a copy of Keilberth's recording, which could be used as source for Aldilà's publication. 

Our user Holger, to whom I am very grateful, has found an old recording of Braunfels's op. 36, but unfortunately his source could not provide him with any information about the conductor or orchestra, only that it was recorded by West German radio could be granted for sure.

You will find it posted in the Downloads section.

Christoph Schlüren, founder of Aldilà Records, told me that, except Keilberth's, there were at least two other radio recordings of Prelude and Fugue made during the 1950s, one conducted by Günter Wand, the other conducted by Otto Matzerath.

So my other question is: Can somebody identify this recording, and say if it is Keilberth's or not?

Grateful for every help,

Rainolf

Richard Moss

Went to download this Braunfels work to hear it for the first time but found Mediafire is now INSISTING that you  have to consent to a certain level of cookies termed 'legitimate interest' by their 'ad' masters with no option to  decline. 

So, much as I would love to hear any 'unsung' work that fits the profile of UC, that is not to be at the expense of my personal privacy.  Many other sites let you 'manage' your settings and that usually means you can choose, if you want to, to opt out of all cookie actions except those defined as essential.  Sadly, Mediafire no longer falls into this category!

Not much else to add

Richard

Mark Thomas

The use of Mediafire is not mandatory for UC downloads. If members upload to another service which doesn't restrict downloads in any way then that would be a perfectly acceptable alternative.

djarvie

I accept the cookies, then clear them once the download has finished.  With Firefox you can clear cookies from a specific site, with Chrome you can clear all cookies received in the last hour. In Chrome the control is in "settings", in Firefox it is in "options".