Joseph Lauber Symphonies Nos. 3 & 6

Started by adcsound, Friday 18 December 2020, 03:39

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

I received the same note - a very nice touch indeed.

Yes, this is a company one really wants to support.

adcsound

Dear friends,

The release should be by the end of May, early June.

Fred.

Alan Howe

Wonderful! Other CD labels, please take note!

adcsound

Dear friends,

I just received an email from the label, the CD is now available on their website (Schweizerfonogramm.com).

The last production will take place next August. Would you like me to open a new thread?
As I did for this production, I could give you a link to download my scores. We shall record symphonies 4&5 and close the cycle.

Salutations de Bern,

Fred.

Mark Thomas

That's great news, Fred, and I'll look forward to hearing this fresh pair of symphonies. Yes, when the final pair of symphonies are recorded, it would be better to open a new thread for that recording.

Alan Howe

adcsound

Many thanks for your answer Mark, I will.

terry martyn

Excellent news!   Ordered with pleasure!

Justin

After listening to the sample of the 6th symphony's third movement, I was surprised at how cheerful and slightly poignant it is for 1949. As the booklet notes say, it is "innocent."

The second movement from his 3rd enters Bruckner territory. More stately in its execution but still with that sense of tenderness that I find in Lauber's symphonies.

Excellent mixing as always, Fred.

adcsound

Merci Justin!

All the samples are now available on the label website, I cancel the "we transfer" link.

terry martyn

I liked the personal touch in the email from Graziella at the company that she sent yesterday.  Thoughtfulness goes a long way!

Alan Howe

I had the same kind message. A personal touch indeed - and much appreciated!

Alan Howe

...and, lo and behold, today the CD arrived from Switzerland - together with another kind note from Graziella, wishing me 'a beautiful walk among Lauber's Swiss mountain sounds!' How kind!

First reaction re. Symphony No.6: this could almost be described as neo-classical, with a really rather lovely slow movement. In terms of its relationship to Lauber's earlier symphonies, I'm reminded somewhat of Draeseke's 4th, the 'Comica', also written in the composer's old age.

The most attractive music on the CD is the 'The Alps', a Symphonic Suite in F. It's much as one might expect - open-air, open-hearted and shot-through with music for the horns!

For the 3rd Symphony, the best music on the CD, see my next post...

Alan Howe

Symphony No.3 in B minor (1896) is quite something - and I really can't think of anything like it. Like much of Lauber's music it sounds gloriously open-hearted, except that there is an extra sense of drama here. Apparently he originally gave the symphony the title 'Dramatique', which I can understand. Maybe there is a specifically Swiss sensibility that I've just never encountered before.

This is music that will repay repeated listening. The booklet suggests that the slow movement is 'strongly reminiscent of Bruckner's Fifth'. I must give that some thought...

dhibbard

Is his music of the Romantic type or is it more dissonant?