Joseph Lauber Symphonies Nos. 3 & 6

Started by adcsound, Friday 18 December 2020, 03:39

Previous topic - Next topic

John Boyer

Quote from: Ilja on Friday 14 January 2022, 11:19
[...I]t struck me how the Lauber symphonies sound like ballet music, with fairly concise development sections, and a very well-defined rhythmic basis. In fact, there's hardly a part of it I couldn't imagine as a ballet section in my head, even the slow movements.
On the other hand, this may be a case of a carpenter with a hammer seeing nails everywhere, so I was curious how you people thought about this.

I did not get the same impression, but I understand how one might.  When as a teenager I first heard Dvorak's 8th, it was on a broadcast whose opening I had missed, so I did not know what I was listening to until the announcer came on after the end.  At that time the only work of Dvorak I knew was the 9th -- I was just starting my musical journey.  I was almost certain I was listening to a ballet: the well-defined rhythms, the flowing melody...all of it.  That it was a symphony came as a surprise.  The more I think on it, the more I can see the balletic qualities of Lauber.

adcsound

adcsound

Dear friends,

I am very proud to inform you that the Lauber cds vol.2 AND vol.3 are nominated for the Opus Klassik 2022 in the following categories:
World première recording (x2)
Symphonic recording (x2)
Orchestra of the year (x2)

Thank you for the support you have given to this work.
With kind regards,
Fred.

https://opusklassik.de/kategorien-nominierte/

Alan Howe

Very many congratulations! Thoroughly deserved!

Justin

Fred,

What is your personal favorite of the series?

adcsound

Let's say I like the first one less, in which I see more a desire to show that Lauber can also do it, but I miss the Music. For me the first one is a demonstration card.
I don't find the sixth one extraordinary either.

2-3-4-5 are very beautiful because they each have a colour and an evolution in their own writing that touches me. Even if everything is not magical all the time, in the midst of this beautiful music, I always find extraordinary moments of sensitivity. For me the adequacy between the need to write and the technique is reached.
I must confess that it's the fisrt time, during the editing of these scores, that I had to take some breaks because I was really touched.

But it is also an incredible human adventure with this orchestra and its conductor. Everyone was at Lauber's service, it was beautiful and easy for me to lead the sessions and to feel how everyone was giving their maximum.
Biel is not a "big wellknown" orchestra in Switzerland, but these recordings have generated a lot of great feedback for them.
And I'm proud of that too...

And we have a new project next August with Hans Huber, again with some premiere recordings and conducted by their new conductor!

Amicalement,

Fred.

Alan Howe

That's all extremely interesting and encouraging. We greatly look forward to hearing further news about these projects.

eschiss1

I hope the Huber project includes his un-numbered symphony in A major (symphony 1.5) :) and perhaps the as yet unrecorded string concertos

Ilja

Gareth Vaughan

I will certainly second that. I know where the orchestral material is for both PCs.