Daniel Auber 1782-1871

Started by sdtom, Friday 25 December 2020, 12:50

Previous topic - Next topic

sdtom

Naxos has offered three volumes of his orchestral overtures to renew interest in this mostly forgotten french comic opera writer. The overtures are very light and performed by a much smaller orchestra, which seems very familiar with his work.

Daniel-François-Esprit Auber was a leading composer of French opera from the 1820s onwards, collaborating from then for some thirty years with the librettist Augustin-Eugène Scribe. He is particularly known for his contributions to the genre of opéra-comique. However, one of his most famous works is Masaniello or La muette de Portici ('The Dumb Girl of Portici'), of which the first title is preferred in English. This work staged in Paris in 1828, began the era of French grand opera. Auber wrote a considerable quantity of music, vocal and instrumental, sacred and secular. He was respected by Rossini and Wagner and much honored by the state in his lifetime.

sdtom

AUBER, D.-F.: Overtures, Vol. 1 - Le maçon / Leicester / Le séjour militaire / La neige (Czech Chamber Philharmonic Orchestra, Pardubice, D. Salvi)   Naxos
8.574005   Orchestral
AUBER, D.-F.: Overtures, Vol. 2 - Le concert à la cour / Fiorella / Julie / Violin Concerto (Čepická, Czech Chamber Philharmonic, Pardubice, Salvi)   Naxos
8.574006   Orchestral, Concerto, Orchestral
AUBER, D.-F.: Overtures, Vol. 3 - La Barcarolle / Les Chaperons Blancs / Lestocq / La Muette de Portici / Rêve d'Amour (Moravian Philharmonic, Salvi)   Naxos
8.574007   Orchestral

I am referring to this three volume set from Naxos

sdtom

sdtom

sdtom

so do I. They started in 2016 and stopped but the release has material not on the current 3 volumes so who knows what they're up to. Do you have 8.573553 Naxos?

terry martyn

The conductor, on another thread, said recently that he was about to get volume 5 recorded

sdtom

It sounds like they are going forward with the project. It means that Volume 4 is done, hurrah. I still wonder about the 2016 release. Does anyone know about that?