News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Marco Polo: the legacy

Started by Steve B, Saturday 20 June 2009, 14:34

Previous topic - Next topic

John H White

I've just noticed that MDT Records have a clearance sale of Marco Polo CDs at under £5 a time, but you'll need to hurry to take advantage of this offer, as it ends in a few days. Go to www.mdt.co.uk

febnyc

Thanks for the MDT sale link.  Actually I've bought a number of the discs already - to fill in spaces in my Marco Polo collection.

There are so many gems - one in particular I see is the Jorg Demus CD - featuring his own-composed works for cello & piano which are exquisite.

FBerwald

Here are 2 Rare exotic ones from Marco Polo that I liked
Augusta Holmes - Irlande, Andromede and Other Symphonic Poems
Emmanuel - Symphonies Nos. 1 and 2 ; Le PoéMe Du RhóNe

mbhaub

I have a very old cd of orchestral music by Ippolitov-Ivanov. It's not on Marco Polo -- but sure looks like it. Same color cover, same artist, same note writer (Keith Anderson). It looks like a Marco Polo but the label says Records International, based at that time in Goleta, CA.

I also have a very old recording of Brahms Hungarian Dances with Andrew Mogrelia conducting, notes by Keith Anderson, and the layout of the cd card sure looks like Marco Polo/Naxos but the label is Donau.

THen, there's another early cd of Rachmaninoff PC 2 and Paganini Variations. Now the label is Naxos, but in a slimline case. Notes by Keith Anderson, a typical Naxos/Marco Polo set of performers (Jeno Jando, etc). To add to the confusion, the front cover also has "Enigma Classics" on it, and the whole thing was produced and manufactured by Nimbus! Yet the copyright from 1988 is Pacific Music Co., Ltd.

Is anyone able to explain this convoluted organization or how it came to be? And what's the Records International connection?