Elmas PCs 1 & 2 on Hyperion

Started by Ilja, Wednesday 20 January 2021, 10:38

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

I can find no reference to Arthur Rubinstein having a PC by Elmas dedicated to him at the age of 19. Not impossible, I agree, but...

PS I've been listening to PC3. Yawn. Sorry!

terry martyn

My copies of Carrillo, Elmas, Romberg´s First and Third,and a catch-up purchase of the latter´s Fourth,arrived simultaneously, alongside a late purchase of Josephine Knight performing Piatti´s Cello Concertos.  After the tribulations of the Carrillo, I was really looking forward to the Elmas, especially after the high recommendation by Presto Classical.  Hyperion´s iconic series has thrown up some gems, even a masterpiece (in my opinion) - Brull´s Andante and Allegro op 88 (which every aspiring concert pianist should embrace). On this occasion, Alan´s comments about the Elmas being thirdrate were too kind. Some of you know that I am unfortunately in the Rex Harrison school of thought about Howard Shelley´s playing. We can´t all be politically correct, and at times today I was expecting the magic piano suddenly to say ´Spaaaaarky´. As to the music, I´m afraid In a Monastery Garden came to, and annoyingly stayed in,my mind.
I turned for solace to the Piatti and have already played it twice.