News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Some 2021 unsung concerts

Started by eschiss1, Sunday 24 January 2021, 18:30

Previous topic - Next topic

Gareth Vaughan

That's a real rarity. And a remarkably beautiful and moving piece IMHO.

eschiss1

Neat! Since first hearing of that oratorio and now I've gone and read an English translstion of the Dante. I hope they'll add to its small discography.

eschiss1

The Jupiter Symphony Chamber Players on September 27th in NYC are performing works by Robert Fuchs, Aaron Copland, George Gershwin, Antonín Dvorak, and Rubin Goldmark. Their 8 November program contains Raff's string sextet.

eschiss1

Also, I don't recall this concert being mentioned, in which Emilie Mayer's 7th symphony is being performed tomorrow night in Reykjavik.

This may be as almost-known as Korngold, so perhaps I shouldn't include it, but this weekend in Berlin will see two performances of Franz Schmidt's 2nd symphony (with works by Takemitsu and Mahler.)

There's one or two upcoming performances of works by Augusta Holmès in the near future, including La nuit et l'amour on Sunday in Paris. And the upcoming Jupiter Symphony Chamber concert contains not only Kalkbrenner's quintet but the trio op.31 (1861) by Thomas Tellefsen.

MartinH

This coming weekend I'm in for a treat: two works by Reger. I've never heard anything by Reger in concert, but now all of the sudden I get two. First to the Flagstaff Symphony for a performance of Variations on a theme by Mozart. Then in Scottsdale on Sunday the intrepid Musica Nova Orchestra will give Variations on a Theme by Beethoven. 2021 is of no anniversary importance to Reger, neither is the October programming. But I'll take both! Who knows if I'll ever hear Reger - surely an unsung master - again.

eschiss1

Neat!! For all the Reger in my collection I think I may have heard one flute serenade live in concert and I'm not positive about that...

Rainolf

The Constanze Quartet, who completed their excellent cycle of Draeseke quartets recently, will play string quartets by Felix Woyrsch, Joaquin Turina and Darius Milhaud on 20 December 2021 in the Stadthalle of Neumünster in northern Germany. The Woyrsch work is String Quartet No. 2 in C minor, op. 63. As we can read in this newsletter, the Constanze Quartet plans a recording of Woyrsch's Piano Quintet together with pianist Oliver Triendl:

https://www.neumuenster.de/fileadmin/neumuenster.de/media/kultur_und_freizeit/kultur/theater/theater_in_der_stadthalle/Theaterprogramm_NMS_2021-22.pdf (page 39)

The concert was first planned for 2020, but could not be realised then due to Covid restrictions. Here is the 2020 program, which showed a quartet by Lucien Durosoir instead of Turina:

https://www.neumuenster.de/fileadmin/neumuenster.de/media/kultur_und_freizeit/stadtbuecherei/musik/Jubilaeum_Musikbibliothek_Programm.pdf

eschiss1

Woyrsch's 1st symphony, what's more, is getting 3 live performances in the near future starting next month. ... Huh.

eschiss1

interesting concerts from 2022 have already been announced in schedules (Taneev At the Reading of a Psalm, Carnegie Hall, 1/28/22, e.g.), suggesting that someone should start a new thread. (Ariadne?)

eschiss1

btw Bristow's Arcadian symphony was performed at Carnegie Hall on Nov.18 (Botstein/Orchestra NOW) uncut, I read.

semloh

Gosh, Eric, those are really unusual concert items. It's heartening to see.

scarpia

A few weeks ago Botstein and his youth Orchestra Now performed Bristow's 4th Symphony. They did it in NYC and also at Bard. The concert from the Fisher Center is here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87yj2LL4Wqc

hyperdanny

waiting for the 2022 thread..this one is coming pretty soon (if covid-related problems don't intrude, of course
Feb 7 , 2022 at the Teatro alla Scala, Milano: Gewandhausorchester Leipzig, conducted by Andris Nelsons.
Besides more mainstream stuff (Bruckner 7), not one but two pieces of unsung interest: Julius Klengel's "Hymnus" and Arthur Nikisch's Orchestral Fantasy.
Very curious about the Klengel, I love the concerti.

Rainolf

For the string quartet concert in Neumünster on 20 December a change in the program had been made: The Constanze Quartet will play a quartet by Emilie Mayer instead of Turina. 

eschiss1

Re the Arcadian Symphony: Kyle Gann has uploaded his full score edition, on which the new performances are based, to IMSLP for reading (though only specific, I suspect non-commercial/non-performance-related-without permission?, use by others - "Public Domain (dedicated)".) See Symphony No.4, Op.50 (Bristow). (Is that you, @scarpia ? Sorry 'bout.)