Toccata's Pipeline

Started by Jonathan, Tuesday 26 January 2021, 17:22

Previous topic - Next topic

Jonathan

Hi All,
I happened to glance at Toccata Classics pipeline page yesterday and found the following CDs which should be well worth a listen and fall within the remit of this forum:

Friedrich GERNSHEIM: Piano Music, Volume Two
Franz LISZT: The Complete Symphonic Poems transcribed for Solo Piano by August Stradal, Volume Four (at last!!)
Moritz MOSZKOWSKI: Piano Music, Volume One
Ottorino RESPIGHI: Complete Piano Music, Volume Two
Sir Donald TOVEY: Chamber Music, Volume Three: The Complete Cello Sonatas
Joseph WOELFL: Piano Music, Volume Two
Eugène YSAŸE: Orchestral and Piano Works

Plenty there to whet the appetite!
Best regards
Jonathan

eschiss1

Having seen some of his brother Théophile Ysaÿe's orchestral works, I wouldn't mind seeing a disc of those (there's a triptych of symphonic poems by him, iirc) - maybe a future release by someone. Still, the sole semi-surviving violin concerto by Eugène could be interesting.

TerraEpon

An actual full series of Mozkowski piano music would be very welcome. The solo piano music takes up a good 155 pages of the thematic catalog....looks to be about 75 works (including muti-work opuses).

Respighi on the other hand only wrote a small amount (about 15 works on my own list). I wonder if two discs is all it needs....

Jonathan

I agree, a complete Moszkowski set would be excellent. As for Respighi, I reviewed volume 1 of the Complete Piano Music (on MusicWeb) and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Martin Eastick

A complete Moszkowski is certainly the intention, as I have been led to believe!

Jonathan

Excellent news about the Moszkowski! 

I just found out today that the Liszt / Stradal transcriptions disc is due out on the 5th February - far sooner than I had expected ;D

Ebubu

It's actually absolutely amazing that no Moszkowski complete piano works had ever been planned or recorded, given the importance of the guy in the piano lit history.

And Ian Hobson is a very talented pianist for the job.

raffite33

There'll have be to be at least three CDs to cover Respighi.  There's still the two piano (or is it piano, 4 hands?  I can't remember now.) version of the Concerto in Modo Misolidio.  When I emailed Toccata to inquire about that particular piece, the reply was that they were going to include everything.

TerraEpon

Well usually 'complete piano music' tends to only include two-hand piano, not four-handed in either capacity. Not always granted, but usually. So "include everything" might not include that (or the other piano duet stuff).
Incidentally my own list doesn't have that version. If it does exist it wasn't assigned its own catalog number at least.

Sharkkb8

Quote from: Ebubu on Tuesday 02 February 2021, 21:10
It's actually absolutely amazing that no Moszkowski complete piano works had ever been planned or recorded....

There is the 3-cd set from Helios, featuring Seta Tanyel, but of course it makes no claim to be "complete", the titles being "piano music by...".   In my copious free time :o I might start researching pieces composed vs pieces recorded, to determine approximately how much remains unrecorded, but in the meantime perhaps someone has that answer (or an approximation) off the top of his/her head?

TerraEpon

There's a discography for individual pieces in the thematic catalog, which is from 2009. You can DL it here https://depositonce.tu-berlin.de/handle/11303/2418