News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Enesco on cpo

Started by eschiss1, Sunday 05 December 2010, 18:13

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

Just saw announced a recording of Enesco's piano quartets to be released on cpo (in January in Europe?).  Performers are the Tammuz Piano Quartet.

I've heard two recordings of no.2 but not, yet, I think, no.1 though I know it's been recorded (indeed one of the recordings was on the Olympia CD from which I heard their recording of no.2 too, was just happenstance that I didn't, I think, hear no.1 also that day. I have the Naxos recording though.)  At least two of the performers in the Tammuz quartet "ring bells" ("Daniel Gaede, violin. Volker Jacobsen, viola. Gustav Rivinius, violoncello. Oliver Tirendl, piano.")- Triendl more than strongly (with his several commercial recordings, and a broadcast recording of the Draeseke piano concerto, iirc, one which I haven't I think yet heard), Rivinius less so (but I see he's already performed in and recorded Enesco's earlier and wonderful Octet :) )

Eric

JimL

I believe Treindl also has a broadcast performance of the Urspruch PC that may be coming out on cpo.

Steve B

I find the String Quartets so difficult, but will try again. Don't know Piano Quartets. The Dixtour and Octet are so approachable with Enescu's usual ecstatic style.

Steve

Kriton

I'll be very happy with this recording! I only know his 2nd piano quartet, and have been waiting for the 1st to receive a good recording (I really do assume it will be good).

Enescu's music is as interesting as it is elusive, although his earlier works (of which a great many still aren't available in good recordings) are unmistakeably romantic. His later, more modern language just wasn't 'late' and modern enough, which make him a rather obscure composer - or more a one-hit composer.

The piano quintet is an amazing piece as well, but I really had to let it grow on me. Worth the effort, though! It's just his more popular violin sonatas I don't really care for, but I guess that has to do more with the combination piano/violin than with his musical language. I really wish CPO would do his youth symphonies...

eschiss1

Hrm. Do Enesco's 2nd and 3rd youth symphonies survive, and in what form? Manuscript, modern publication?...