Jean-Baptiste Weckerlin 1821 - 1910

Started by kolaboy, Friday 29 January 2021, 00:31

Previous topic - Next topic

kolaboy

Came across him in a Felicien David biography (Dorothy Veinus Hagan), where his ode symphony "La Poems de la Mer" was mentioned in conjunction with David's "Christopher Columbus" - by which he was apparently influenced. Not a lot to be found about him, web-wise... apart from a very modest wikipedia page:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean-Baptiste_Weckerlin

UnsungMasterpieces

I've never heard of this composer, so I started digging a little on Spotify.
There is a recording available of his operetta "La Laitiere de Trianon", but it's an arrangement for piano and singers.
IMSLP lists it as a piece for vocal soloists & orchestra though, so maybe it's a different arrangement that got released.
Arkivmusic describes the piece as an "opérette de salon".

nielk

Weckerlin (or Wekerlin) was mainly known as the librarian of the Paris Conservatory, less as a composer, but still he was quite prolific. His Wikipedia page is really terrible, not well written and rather superficial. I've just done a few formal edits, but I will expand it in the next few days. Check back next week or so.

kolaboy

eschiss1

His name shows up in the Bibliographie nationale (BdlF) often enough during his lifetime when I was searching for other things  to suggest that he was fairly prolifically published.