Would you recommend this CD collection?

Started by tcutler, Sunday 05 December 2010, 22:02

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

Hrm. At least according to a review by David Hurwitz, it's from 1817.  There is an EU-only (not viewable in CA or US until a later year, because of the lifespan of the editors  Nils Castegren and Friedrich Schnapp, published in 1984) score at http://imslp.org/wiki/Concert_for_2_Violins_and_Orchestra_%28Berwald,_Franz%29 , by the way.

JimL

oldman

Actually the Berwald 2 violin concerto can be downloaded in the US via the EU server - I've just done so.

eschiss1

Quote from: JimL on Wednesday 08 December 2010, 02:11
But no recording of it apparently. :(
Hrm? Quoting myself, "I think the Berwald two-violin concerto's been recorded once on Sterling (has there been another recording?) Haven't yet heard it myself."

eschiss1

actually, getting the details of the recording I wasn't quite sure was there (no recording on IMSLP if that's what you meant- free-for-use orchestral recordings are quite rare, i'm not even sure some of the non-electronic ones that are there are quite as legitimate as the uploaders think I fear and should ask the copyright admin about that, since I doubt the orchestral rank-and-file were asked for permission for electronic distribution... or does that not matter?...) anyway... Sterling CDS 1051 is the CD in question. I apologize very much for my tone in that last post.

eschiss1

Quote from: oldman on Wednesday 08 December 2010, 02:17
Actually the Berwald 2 violin concerto can be downloaded in the US via the EU server - I've just done so.
I know, if you certify that you are not breaking the law- but I would be lying if I were to do so, unless I were doing so for admin/librarian-related purposes (that is, checking the file for tagging or other things for purposes related to my responsibilities on IMSLP, then deleting promptly.)

Kriton

Quote from: JimL on Wednesday 08 December 2010, 00:16
I was aware that Berwald had composed an early violin concerto, which I find rather mediocre.  I was totally unaware that there was a two-violin concerto that had been recorded, no less!  Is it a more mature work than the single violin VC?  Also, is it a complete work, or was it finished or orchestrated by other hands?  Somebody give me a link...

You might want to steer clear of this work, it's one of Berwald's less successful compositions. Even the piano concerto didn't quite convince me, but this double concerto is just horribly tedious. I love his chamber music and purely orchestral works - everything solo I don't find particularly successful.

FBerwald

Quote from: Kriton on Wednesday 08 December 2010, 14:49

You might want to steer clear of this work, it's one of Berwald's less successful compositions. Even the piano concerto didn't quite convince me, but this double concerto is just horribly tedious. I love his chamber music and purely orchestral works - everything solo I don't find particularly successful.

The piano concerto is odd when compared to the rest of the genre.. Its a bit like the comedy of Spike Milligan "Goon Show" as opposed to say "Fawlty Towers ". One needs to keep an open mind and try to draw no comparisons; but then again its a matter of openion (I find the Reger concerto a snooze fest! [Sorry!]). And yes the double concerto is probably his least successful works and I also agree with  coment about him being his best in his Orchestral works .