New Recording of Korngold's Piano Concerto in C#

Started by brendangcarroll, Thursday 04 February 2021, 17:22

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

Don't worry. Actually, the thread's turned out to be very enlightening.

brendangcarroll

@FBerwald: no apology necessary. I have much enjoyed writing about this work. In fact I am currently writing a detailed analysis of the Korngold for a planned book on left hand repertoire.

I do not know David Lively's recording of the Marx (but I do have a TV broadcast of him doing the Korngold!) I must look it out. Thank you.

I love the Marx - it's an amazing score with about a million notes. The score is extraordinary. One day, I hope someone records the original Two Piano version!

ewk

Quote from: brendangcarroll on Wednesday 10 February 2021, 19:34
I love the Marx - it's an amazing score with about a million notes. The score is extraordinary. One day, I hope someone records the original Two Piano version!

We're getting a bit off-topic here, but that sounds intriguing –  do you mean a two-piano version, i.e. 2d piano as orchestra replacement, or two pianos+orchestra?

Alan Howe

I'm sure this'll be a 2-piano arrangement. 2 pianos plus orchestra would have to be a new composition, surely?

TerraEpon

Quote from: Alan Howe on Thursday 11 February 2021, 10:07
I'm sure this'll be a 2-piano arrangement. 2 pianos plus orchestra would have to be a new composition, surely?

Obviously it means the former, but I have seen a couple cases of a two piano & orchestra version of a piece and orchestra piece (that being at the least a version of Rhapsody in Blue, though it was a modern-ish arrangement)

eschiss1

IMSLP lists Gershwin's concerto in F arranged for 2 pianos and orchestra, yes.

And earlier on, Mozart had a concerto that could be played by 2 or 3 keyboards and orchestra.

According to Wikipedia, Op.88a (two-piano concerto) by Bruch is -not- related to Op.88 (clarinet & viola concerto), contrary to what I and many people thought.

brendangcarroll

Sorry for not being clear. The 2 piano version of the Marx is the same work but not with orch. I have never seen the score of this early version which is how the work was originally premiered! Marx orchestrated it later.

sdtom

This, to my knowledge is a new recording I received from Naxos. Sorry for the size but I was not able to change.

Alan Howe

No problem, Tom. I found another, smaller image.

eschiss1

Ah, I'd forgotten that the Chopin Op.2 was in question, not one of his piano concertos.

sdtom

I understand. I thought the other thread was discussing the Korngold, sorry

Alan Howe

No problem, Tom. It was an outgrowth of this thread.