Otakar Ostrcil (1879 - 1935) - Czech composer

Started by M. Henriksen, Saturday 04 December 2010, 20:45

Previous topic - Next topic

M. Henriksen

Often mentioned in the same breath as Vitezslav Novàk and Josef Suk, Ostrcil is not very well represented in the catalogues (there are a couple of old Supraphon recordings of some orchestral works) and I think it's safe to say that the composer has not received his renaissance since he passed away in 1935.
A pupil of Fibich, Ostrcil took great interest in the works of Gustav Mahler and seems to have shared the Austrians fate in being a "holiday composer" since conducting and other tasks took most of his time.
Ostrcil's worklist includes 3 Operas, a Symphony, a Sinfonietta, Symphonic Poems, two Orchestral Suites and his most famous work; the "Calvary" Variations from 1928.
I've heard some excerpts from his Symphony and Sinfonietta on amazon, the change of style from the early Symphony (1906) to the Sinfonietta (1922) is quite clear, but Ostrcil's music is clearly tonal all the way.
The small excerpts I've heard is clearly not enough to get an overall impression from, but they did awake my curiosity.
Now, will we see some recordings of his music in the future? Is his music of such a quality that it is worth investing time and money on it?

Anyone out there who know Ostrcil better than I do? I certainly hope so!

Here is a introduction to Ostrcil from the Czech Music Information Centre:
http://www.musica.cz/skladatele/ostrcil-otakar.html

Morten

jimmosk

The Ostrcil pieces I have are all orchestral: the Calvary Variations, Sinfonietta, Symphony, and Suite in C minor. The best by far is the symphony, which is better than several Dvorak symphonies -- in particular the grandeur and catchiness of its opening movement. Its scherzo is whirligig enough to be Czech Mendelssohn, something Dvorak didn't ever attempt. The finale is a let down for me, trying to do too much with to simple a melody -- it sounds more like a drinking song than finale material.

--
Jim Moskowitz
The Unknown Composers Page: http://kith.org/jimmosk/TOC.html
My latest list of unusual classical CDs for auction: http://tinyurl.com/jimsCDs

eschiss1

Apparently in LP days a string quartet and violin/piano piece of his was recorded. I don't think I've heard any of this myself yet but it sounds interesting.  (It seems possible, but I don't know, that a choral/orchestral work of his or two may have reached CD too.  Never trust libraries', of course, and therefore WorldCat's, declaration that something is a CD, LP, score, book,... so that particular scheme of theirs is not so useful, byway-of-a-by-the-way, but anyways.)

DennisS

Hello Jimmosk

I was intrigued by your comments re- the symphony i.e. the grandeur and catchiness of the opening movement and the whirligig of the Scherzo and the comparative weakness of the finale. I assume you mean the symphony in A. I listenened to sound bites on Amazon.com. The 4 movements are listed as I. Moderato II. Quasi maestoso. III. Moderato IV Vivace. Which movement is the Scherzo you refer to? The closing movement is the one you refer to as a bit like a drinking song but the other movements are, at least from the brief snipments I heard, all slow/slowish? Can you clarify please.

Cheers
Dennis

Alan Howe

All I'd say is get hold of the Supraphon CD of the Symphony and Sinfonietta if you see it; there is much highly enjoyable, colourful, beautifully written music, (especially in the Symphony). The Sinfonietta is in a much modern style, of course - think, perhaps, later Zemlinsky, or indeed Suk.

jimmosk

Quote from: DennisS on Sunday 05 December 2010, 11:19

but the other movements are, at least from the brief snipments I heard, all slow/slowish? Can you clarify please.

Hi Dennis!  Sorry to be away from the site for so long. It's the second movement, Quasi maestoso, that I'm referring to.
The clip on this site shows what I mean, since it contains the First Theme; I'm guessing the snippet you heard was from the slower Second section.
http://us.7digital.com/artists/prague-symphony-orchestra-jiri-belohlavek-1/ostrcil-symphony-in-a-major-sinfonietta?partner=824

-J