Rubinstein Piano Concerto 5: and works whose poignancy have GROWN on you

Started by Steve B, Friday 10 December 2010, 00:11

Previous topic - Next topic

JimL

Quote from: Alan Howe on Saturday 11 December 2010, 19:40
Today I returned to Jadassohn's two PCs. No.1 in particular struck me as a magnificent piece: brilliant and yet reflective by turns and with some unforgettable themes. I had badly underestimated it...
Funny, Alan.  I feel a similar affection for the 2nd Jadassohn PC.  PC 1 still hasn't quite caught on with me yet.

Alan Howe

'Affection' is spot-on, Jim. Jadassohn's music definitely inspires affection: from the moment I heard some of his chamber music, he certainly warmed my heart. 

JimL

My only problem with the PC 2 is that it's somewhat terse.  It seems like the outer movements end too soon.  Maybe he should have drawn out the codas of the first movement and finale a little bit more.  And usually, I find economy of structure a good thing.  So maybe it's a bit too much of a good thing?

FBerwald

Alan Hovhaness' Celestial Gate Symphony (No.6) in a single movement has a beautiful almost chant like melody whose poignancy grows on me everytime I listen to it.
Also try his Prayer of St. Gregory for trumpet and string orchestra. Very moving music!!!

DennisS

Hello Steve B

Thank you for alerting me to Rubinstein's PC no 5. I didn't know this PC but as I like Rubinstein quite a lot (but not every work!), I bought this Cd on your recommendation and have since listened to it a couple of times. I really like the work, especially the first movement. I fully concur with your appraisal.

Cheers
Dennis

DennisS

Hello F Berwald

It's very refreshing to find someone who likes Hovhaness and praises his works the way you have. I have a large number of his works (something in excesss of some 20 odd cds) and very much like his music. Occasionally though, if I were being a tad critical, I would say that sometimes his music can became a bit samey. That said, most of his music is quite beautiful in it's own way and I fully agree with your comments re- symphony no 6 and the Prayer for St Gregory.

cheers
Dennis

TerraEpon

Quote from: DennisS on Sunday 12 December 2010, 11:07. Occasionally though, if I were being a tad critical, I would say that sometimes his music can became a bit samey. That said, most of his music is quite beautiful in it's own way and I fully agree with your comments re- symphony no 6 and the Prayer for St Gregory.

Indeed. I love it too (well most of it) and yes, it's quite samey, mainly because his modd tends to be very atmospheric as opposed melodically driven. That said, I absolutely adore Prayer of St. Gregory as well.
(I also highly recommend Symphony #4, but maybe I'm biased because of the long bass clarinet solo ^_^)

Steve B

Steve B

I add "Faust" to the great Rubinstein oevre, especially the coda.That oboe theme, and then the funereal(literally, I presume) coda, with peircing brass.And the fifth Symphony has  good theme to open the second movement. I WANT to like all of his stuff and THROUGHOUT all of his works, Peter1953; just find it a bit hit and miss. But some works are good/v.good throughout. Steve

Peter1953

Steve, in fact of all unsung composers from whom I have at least a couple of CDs, I recognize some less stronger works, even from Rubinstein. That is to say, with one exception and that is Rufinatscha. Of course his symphonies 1&2 are not of the same high level as his 5&6, but nevertheless those early symphonies are IMO already evidence of a very promising composer. Raff's last four symphonies, I'm sorry to confess, must still fully grow on me...

Josh

I love reading about people's experiences with this sort of thing.  Having my opinion of a work grow on me to the point of becoming a really passionate enthusiasm over time... it's fairly rare, but truly delightful.  It's a different sort of thing than a love-at-first-hear deal, it feels different, but it's no less satisfying to me.

In my case, there are several such works, including the famous Rachmaninov Piano Concerto #2, and the not-so-famous Stanford PC #1.  Then, there are whole composers - largely speaking - that have grown on me in this way.  Perhaps the most surprising of these is Reinecke, of all people.  For some reason, my taste for Reinecke grew from initial indifference, slowly over time, until now the lukewarm has turned into a blaze.  Reinecke's music really appeals to me in a huge way these days.

But more than that, most of all, it was Joachim Raff.  Before Raff, there was little written beyond 1830 or so that I liked at all.  Even a lot of Mendelssohn - generally regarded as fairly tame - struck my ears as unnaturally harsh and unpleasant.  My ears were just completely attuned to the late 18th century, and moving outside that was sometimes almost physically unpleasant.  I liked Czerny, Moscheles, Sullivan, and other composers that might be described as backward-looking in terms of their harmonic tendencies; Classical-Romantics, I once heard them called.  There were just certain sounds and audio-textures that started being used as the 19th century wore on that I just couldn't tolerate.

Some clarinetist from Australia communicated with me via e-mail, perhaps because of an article I'd written on Franz Krommer, I can't recall why.  In any case, he told me about a composer whose name I had only vaguely seen a few times.  I don't think I'd ever heard a note of this Joachim Raff before he convinced me to check out the 5th Symphony.  Those opening seconds just wowed me instantly.  I got a few CDs, gave them a listen, and thought it was okay, but not my cup of tea.  Time went on, and I'd listen again for some reason, and again... and each time, I liked more.  I got more CDs, thought to at least get the complete symphonies... and I eventually came to like, then adore, all of them.  Every single one.  Not sure which is my least favourite (#6?), but I actually love it.  Then I started finding the chamber music, cello concerti, piano concerto, an amazing CD of songs, everything... and now, I'm just blown away.  I don't get into lists much, but if pressed, I'd name Raff as one of the top 5, or even top 3, composers who ever lived, and I do mean of all time.

Sorry about the length of this.  I know it's just words, but this growing adoration thing is a really outstanding adventure, and I'm really excited in the hopes of going through another one soon, whether it be for a single work or a composer in general.

chill319

Thanks for sharing that history, Josh. The past is a story constantly rewritten, and Raff's place in music history is sure to rise as more open-eared people like yourself get a chance to hear him.

I'm grateful to Mark for his yeoman's effort on Raff's behalf.

Mark Thomas

Thanks for the thanks, which is very much appreciated. It's a labour of love, of course. Raff is a standard bearer for the legion of Unsungs, I think, and as his star continues to rise so will many of theirs.

FBerwald

I dont want to sound negative , but is IT ACTUALLY happening? I mean it's one thing to discuss Raff's greatness on a forum but is he appearing in concert halls. Has there been any progress in the last ....say 10 years ... any major orchestras pick him up? I sincerely hope that it happens!

eschiss1

Quote from: FBerwald on Saturday 18 December 2010, 04:22
I dont want to sound negative , but is IT ACTUALLY happening? I mean it's one thing to discuss Raff's greatness on a forum but is he appearing in concert halls. Has there been any progress in the last ....say 10 years ... any major orchestras pick him up? I sincerely hope that it happens!
judging from http://www.raff.org/news/reviews/reviews.htm not just yet, depending on "major"? and so do I.