Hurwitz: Bruckner's Astonishing "Preschool" Symphony on Tinnitus Classics

Started by Mark Thomas, Thursday 25 February 2021, 12:21

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Thomas

Not one for serious Bruckner enthusiasts, but for those of us who are more agnostic this should provoke a laugh :)

Alan Howe

FBerwald

This guy is pure entertainment. Much of what he says can't be taken seriously but his sense of humor is amazing. Have alook at Tinnitus Classics recommended finest version of John Cage's 4'33''

Revilod

...and,as well all know, the horn call, the only melodic element from the Preschool Symphony, isn't Bruckner at all. It's Shostakovich.

brendangcarroll

semloh

eschiss1

There is actually at least one unknown Bruckner symphony movement in sketch, fwiw, a few dozen bars (68, apparently) in B-flat - but he was 45 when he wrote it. :) (1869, same year as the "Nullte".)

Alan Howe

eschiss1

That would be tough to make convincing, there's only two minutes. See Symphony sketch page @ ABruckner.com (which has a performance link - ok, a synthesized performance and a link to a place where one can buy a CD that contains among other things that 2-minute sketch performed by real people (Preiser) (edit: arranged by Ricardo Luna for chamber ensemble, conducted by him). Haven't tried it but will see if I can find it on Amazon music.)

("Bruckner Unknown by Ricardo Luna", only available on disc @ amazon us, and rather expensive 3rd-party disc at that for now- out of stock otherwise...)

eschiss1

(Looks like a very interesting disc for people interested in Bruckner's music anyway- all sorts of original versions, etc. A comparable CD of eg Raff's original-discarded movements to his symphonies, etc. would be of more interest to people here (including y'r humble writer too, really...), I know, but I find the parallel Bruckner disc of original versions, discarded movements, sketch symphony, etc. intriguing- if not at $129 which I can't afford. Maybe if it comes back in stock at a more reasonable price, etc. ...)

Alan Howe

No, no - enough already! I mean, I thought the original version of No.8 was going to be interesting; well, I suppose it is interesting - for how bad it is.

eschiss1

Ok, ok (I don't agree but this isn't the topic or even the forum :)). Sorry I brought it up- though having now heard the WAB 142 sketch on Preiser it's rather nice.