New Recording of JB Foerster 'From Shakespeare' Suite & Other Orchestral Works?

Started by JP, Wednesday 03 March 2021, 14:06

Previous topic - Next topic

JP

Greetings everyone.

Judging from this fleeting youtube preview of the "Viola" movement from the Shakespeare suite (sounds rather stylistically akin to Faure's Dolly suite) as featured in this Radio Ostrava hall performance by the Janáček Philharmonic Orchestra under the direction of Marek Štilec, it appears that Arco Diva has been contracted by Naxos to record this work as part of a future CD release in the latter's ongoing survey of lesser known late and postromantic Czech orchestral repertoire e.g. - Zdenek Fibich & Vitezslav Novak.   

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWy1CcAmIHw

Hmm, I wonder what other JBF orchestral repertoire (especially those previously unheard ones which were never commercially recorded/released) will be coupled with this suite and whether Naxos will venture to record the complete JBF symphonies just as the MDG label did a decade ago. It'll be great if anyone can shed further light on this. I can also check directly with Naxos to see what their plans are regarding their expanded discography of JBF orchestral works.  It should be noted that Naxos had already recorded JBF's Symphony No. 4  "Easter Eve" alongside the premiere recordings of My Youth and his Festive Overture a decade and a half ago. 

https://www.naxos.com/catalogue/item.asp?item_code=8.557776

In any case, it's encouraging to see Naxos revisit the works of JBF once again.

Best wishes to one and all, JP.
  ;D

eschiss1

A commercial issue of the radio broadcast cycle of the other symphonies would be nice too, if they arrange that. That too was a good series, I thought...

Alan Howe

Quotewhether Naxos will venture to record the complete JBF symphonies just as the MDG label did a decade ago

Only one cheer from me, I confess. If we already have them, why do we need them all over again? Let's concentrate, surely, on his unrecorded compositions.

jasthill

Looking at the ArcoDiva Prague clips on YouTube shows clips for two J.B. Foerster recordings - Symphony No 1. and Shakespeare Suite - maybe a Foerster cycle from Naxos?

Alan Howe

eschiss1

Surely we have room for multiple recordings of Pejacevic's symphony but not, I guess, Foerster's!

Alan Howe

I'm not sure about the quality of Foerster's symphonies. Even the best-known (No.4) I find rather pallid.

Alan Howe

eschiss1

As there are already multiple versions of no.4 I don't think that was the one I was speaking of :)