Douglas Munn – Piano Music

Started by Wheesht, Wednesday 03 March 2021, 16:42

Previous topic - Next topic

Wheesht

Douglas Munn was an eminent mathematician who held a professorship at the University of Stirling and he was also a gifted composer. The Latvian pianist Arta Arnicane, who knew him, can be heard and seen playing his preludes here. She has a CD with Munn's piano music in first recordings in the pipeline at Toccata Classics. It will include these works:

Minuet and Trio
Intermezzo
Scherzo
Sonatina
Nocturnes in D sharp major, A major, B flat minor, E sharp major and E sharp minor,
Mazurka
Duet for Joanne and Debbie
Preludes in E minor, F sharp major and D major.

Revilod

E# major and E# minor?! Only professors of mathematics would write music in those keys!

Gareth Vaughan

I agree. On a piano there is, of course, no discernible difference between E sharp major and F major or E sharp minor and F minor.

eschiss1

and even then - having known a fair number of math professors (and aimed to be one, until they found teaching and I didn't really go together) - more out of their sense of humor.

4candles

Beautiful music it is too - sound samples now available on the Toccata Classics website. (Each piece's tonality also given there, correcting a previous note about a couple of unusual key signatures!)

4c

Gareth Vaughan

I agree - really lovely. What an attractive disk.

semloh

I find the Nocturnes especially enjoyable. How good it is to have these works on CD.

Martin Eastick

I will certainly obtain a copy myself on the evidence of the extracts - backed up by opinions given here!