Victor Bendix complete piano works on Danacord

Started by regriba, Sunday 21 March 2021, 12:16

Previous topic - Next topic

regriba

Mention of the second volume of J. P. E. Hartmann's piano works on Danacord in another thread reminds me that the same label has just brought out another disc (double actually) of Danish piano music, that of Victor Bendix:

https://www.danacord.dk/frmsets/records/901-02-r.htmlrl

The sonata and the 8 pieces have been recorded before by Peter Seivewright on Rondo, but as fas as I'm aware the rest are first recordings. It is, of course, mostly short pieces, but I though I'd mention it anyway.

By the way, a new biography of Bendix has also just been published, where you can read about the notorious scandal surrounding the birth of his son, Victor Schiøler, who became one of Denmark's leading pianists. I see this has already been mentioned in another thread so no more about it here. Unfortunately the biography is only in Danish.

Revilod

A disc which must be worth exploring. Bendix's piano concerto is superb and the symphonies are very fine too. A pity about the swimming pool acoustics on those Danacord recordings of the symphonies though. Can you give us some idea of the style of the sonata.

Alan Howe

TerraEpon

Finally getting around to listening to this and wow, this is great stuff. Bendix had quite the penchant for melody that I didn't expect.

dhibbard

Alan Howe

...but only available in some of the worst recordings made in the modern era.

Revilod

Yes. The third is the best of the symphonies but, as you say, Alan, the Danacord performances of all four and the recording quality are poor to the extent that I wouldn't recommend those discs. Perhaps Naxos or CPO will take up the reins.

Gareth Vaughan

QuotePerhaps Naxos or CPO will take up the reins.

One can only hope so. Bendix deserves better.