News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Symphony wish-list @ IMSLP

Started by Alan Howe, Sunday 21 March 2021, 12:30

Previous topic - Next topic

tpaloj

Quote from: eschiss1 on Monday 22 March 2021, 19:11
tpaloj- any plans to include Borgstrom's manuscript symphonies (parts/score digitized in a Norwegian library online, I believe...)? :)
I've been putting together Hjalmar Borgstrom's 1890 G major symphony from the handwritten parts. Full score's whereabouts are unknown (Norwegian National Library only has the parts). It's shaping up to be really great just from the strings + half of brass parts so far, really a wonderfully melodic, strong and memorable work. We'll see when everything's all together :) And thanks for the IMSLP scanning list link, that's useful to be aware of too.

Gareth Vaughan

Jacob Rosenhain (1813-94): Symphony No. 3 "Au Printemps" (? - premiered before 1858, according to work list on IMSLP) - autograph full score in BNF, catalogue No. FRBNF44883938.  https://catalogue.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/cb44883938z

eschiss1

neat, did not see that (oh, not yet digitized, someone would have to request. Misunderstood. The Gazette musicale of 28/11/1858 has a review of presumably an early performance) . I think no.2 is @ IMSLP... oh yes, no.2 was on the abufe lißt.

eschiss1

Gustav Jensen (1843-95), op. (posth.)35 - https://imslp.org/wiki/Symphony,_Op.35_(Jensen,_Gustav).

Arnold Krug (1849-1904), symphony in C (1876) - https://imslp.org/wiki/Symphony_in_C_major%2C_Op.9_(Krug%2C_Arnold).

Richard Kleinmichel (1846-1901), symphony no.2 in B-flat (by 1881) - https://imslp.org/wiki/Symphony%2C_Op.52_(Kleinmichel%2C_Richard).

eschiss1

re Reber: I note the unusually large # and often surprised positive reviews of his op.33 and think I recall that Saint-Saëns promoted his music :)

Alan Howe

Great Eric. Keep 'em coming!

May I suggest that you add the composers' dates, plus the date of composition? Thanks.

eschiss1

usually the best I can do is the earliest of premiere, composer death date and publication date, since more accurate information is rarely available but will do my best!

cypressdome

Hugo Ulrich (1827-1872)
Symphony, Op.6 (composed 1852 and published in 1855).
Symphonie triomphale, Op.9 (first performed in 1853 and published in 1855).
Additionally, as a filler there is his Fest-Ouvertüre, Op.15 (published 1859).

Perhaps a little bit after the period in question is Emil Hartmann (1836-1898)
Symphony No,1, Op.29 (published 1880).
Symphony No.2, Op.34 (composed and published in the early 1880s).

I don't know if any of the above have been commercially recorded. I have seen several of Hartmann's later symphonies posted on Youtube.

eschiss1

op.29 is on youtube as no.4 in E-flat. no.2 is no.5 in A minor from the Age of Chivalry. no.3 op.42 by Hartmann which we only have arranged is on youtube as no.6 in D.

Alan Howe

QuotePerhaps a little bit after the period in question

No problem. As long as the works in question conform to UC's guidelines, please post away!

Alan Howe

Bernhard Scholz (1836-1916) No.2 A minor, Op.80
https://imslp.org/wiki/Symphony_No.2%2C_Op.80_(Scholz%2C_Bernhard)

Of the symphonists not featured at IMSLP, it would seem that Georg Vierling and Richard Wüerst might be worth pursuing. Any ideas, anyone?

Mark Thomas

I'd add Rietz' three symphonies to that not-available-at-IMSLP list, particularly No.3 which was highly regarded in its day. The first movement of No.1 has had a recent "online orchestra" performance, but that initiative doesn't seem to have been pursued.

Gareth Vaughan

I would love to hear the symphonies of Gyula Major. There are at least 5, the last of which includes parts for soprano, contralto and baritone soloists. Ms full scores of all of them are held in the Hungarian State Library. I give below the details provided to me by their librarian:

Ms. mus. 956 Symphonia I.
Ms. mus. 957 Symfonie in c-moll III. Op. 25.
Ms. mus. 2.685  III. Symphonie. C-moll. Op. 25 Original handwritten score (autograph)
Ms. mus. 2.686 IV. Symphonie (Fis-moll) Op. 40.
Ms. mus. 6.202  IV. Symphonie. Original handwritten score (autograph)
Ms. mus. 2.684 Sinfonia in A. (On the title page: Nessunoz senza difetti)
Ms. mus. 2.687 V. Symphonie. Op. 79. [D-dur] Mit Sopran-, Alt- (nicht obligat) und Baryton-Solo.
Ms. mus. 7.885 Symphonie hongroise.
Ms. mus. 896 Symphonie V. op. 79. Für grosses Orchester und Gesang. Op. 79. Original manuscript.

eschiss1

The 7 symphonies by Joseph Kuffner (1776-1856) may be a little early for us but on browsing the parts to e.g. the last of them, Op.164 in D, published in 1825, I can see cpo or somesuch company perhaps taking an interest.

eschiss1

Gareth- does Szechenyi Library have Moór symphonies? I may have checked their opac[atalog] but ... (no, much to my surprise, they have practically nothing by Moór at all. Am I not searching properly? Weird...)

Moór's symphony in D minor is at some other libraries, though, including Columbia, Dartmouth and U. London Senate House.