Symphony wish-list @ IMSLP

Started by Alan Howe, Sunday 21 March 2021, 12:30

Previous topic - Next topic

Reverie

The list is certainly growing!

Just realised I have the Ulrich Op.6 all done barr the finale. I don't know why it never got finished as it's really very good. I'll crack on tomorrow  :)

eschiss1

It's been recorded, but the -score- of Anton Urspruch's symphony in E-flat would be good to have. That said, it's been put on IMSLP's wishlist for the composer and can be had at BSB, Landesbibliothek Mecklenburg-Vorpommern im Landesamt für Kultur und Denkmalpflege, Pancras and a Swiss library. That's probably offtopic...

Alan Howe

Yes, interesting though that is, let's stay with the scores of unrecorded symphonies.

Gareth Vaughan

Quotedoes Szechenyi Library have Moór symphonies?

Only one! You are quite right, Eric. They have very little by Moor. In fact, when I inquired about orchestral scores (this was in 2007) the librarian told me they had full scores of only two works:
Mus. pr. 13.877 Symphonie in d-moll. Op. 45.
Mus. pr. 7784 Sérénade hongroise. Op. 44.

The majority of Moor's mss are held by the Westminster Music Library, but they are not catalogued. I would need to visit the basement again (and I haven't been there for over 12 years) and go through the drawers to see what they actually have. There is a handwritten list of the archive, but my recollection is that a few of the items are missing (or not in the boxes they are supposed to be in). The following symphonies are listed: "Symphony No. 7 in C (full score), Symphony in D min (full score), Symphony No 5 (score & parts), Symphony in A minor (score & parts) [not sure if this is No. 8 or another copy of No. 5 - both are in A minor], Symphony in D min Op 44 (sic) (score & Parts), Symphony No 4 (ms score), Symphony No 6 [no details], Symphony No 1 (ms Score)". Additionally, in the main music catalogue (i.e. separate from the Moor archive) they have listed the printed Full Score and Parts of No. 7 in C, Op. 67.

The Emanuel und Henrik Moor Stiftung lists full scores of the following symphonies: Symphony in D minor, Op. 45 (1896), pub. Rozsavölgyi; Symphony No. 6 in E minor, Op. 65 (1906), pub. Siegel; and Symphony in C, WoO. 153 (1895), pub. Simrock - this is the one dedicated to Lajos Kossuth, and of which there is a performance on YouTube which has been discussed on this forum.

As you know, Fleisher has score and parts of the D minor, Op. 45 (i.e. No. 3) and the C major, WoO. 153 (i.e. No. 2) which they have wrongly catalogued as the Op. 67 Symphony in C.

That's all I can tell you about Moor's symphonies.

eschiss1

IMSLP has, of course, WoO 153 in C (which we also had miscatalogued as Op.67 for awhile, but I seem to recall finding a movement listing of Op.67 and it doesn't even vaguely resemble that of WoO 153...) and Op.65 in E minor, but for now no others of his symphonies... I wonder how the effort to record and release WoO 153 is going :)

Alan Howe

Although this is of interest, may I suggest that we keep this thread to the subject to the known locations of full scores which are available for download? Thanks.

eschiss1

Hrm. I thought I had a link to Navràtil (not a misspelling of Nawràtil in this case, apparently)'s symphony in G minor, ms (1902, also available at Fleisher), digitized I think by Northwestern U?... but can't find it.
There's a number of libraries and other resources besides "the usual we know about already" that now have digitizing programs of the materials (either pd or that they have rights to) in progress, a partial list is at IMSLP but needs to be added to...

Alan Howe

I'm perfectly happy for links to downloads which are available elsewhere to be posted here.

eschiss1

Here's a few more.

Alex Taneyev's 3rd symphony in E: (not Sergei) https://imslp.org/wiki/Symphony_No.3,_Op.36_(Taneyev,_Aleksandr).

All 4 of Reber's symphonies, not just no.4, are online. The first 3 are at Gallica (eg symphony no.1 in d) and/or Hathitrust.Org.

I forget if this has been recorded, but Gallica also has some Théodore Dubois symphonies, eg
no.3 in A minor (1915, autograph. Actually IMSLP has this too.)

eschiss1

Here's another: Théophile Ysaÿe (1865-1918)'s symphony no.2 of 1914 (manuscript full score, digitized by KBR Belgium.) Not the easiest to read, but seems to be in B major (or maybe in G-sharp minor). (Incidental thanks to the people who uploaded Tournemire's symphonies from BNF over to IMSLP :) )

Also, KBR-BE has the full score of the Kufferath symphony earlier mentioned - see here.

cypressdome

QuoteAll 4 of Reber's symphonies, not just no.4, are online. The first 3 are at Gallica (eg symphony no.1 in d) and/or Hathitrust.Org.

The full scores for the 4 Reber symphonies are now available on IMSLP.  A Warning to potential typesetters: pages 50 and 51 in BNF's copy of Symphony No.1 are actually pages from his Symphony No.2.  I can't imagine that was an engraving error so it's possible BNF could re-scan the pages if someone requested.

eschiss1

Has anyone informed BNF of this error yet (there's a link on the information page of each catalog entry to send feedback) or shall I? My French is poor but has proven adequate to this in the past because their librarians are good. (I believe so...)

FBerwald

Since I love the music of Benjamin Godard... besides his 3 recorded Symphonies - Symphonie gothique [Op. 23], No. 2 [Op. 57] & Symphonie orientale [Op. 84]

Le Tasse, Symphonie dramatique, Op. 39
https://imslp.org/wiki/Le_Tasse,_Op.39_(Godard,_Benjamin)

Aurore, Symphonie descriptive, Op. 59
https://imslp.org/wiki/Aurore,_Op.59_(Godard,_Benjamin)

Symphonie-Ballet, Op. 60
https://catalogue.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/cb430177670
https://catalogue.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/cb43017768b

Symphonie légendaire en trois parties, Op. 99
https://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/btv1b525067148/f7.item
not sure if this is the entire work of part of it.

Also what about his Symphony No. 1? I remember reading about it in the cpo booklet that only one of the 2 earlier works was lost and another was unpublished. I believe these 2 preceded No. 2, Op. 57

eschiss1

An excerpt from Godard's op.99 has been recorded as "Prière", a long time ago :)

eschiss1

I don't think the 2 symphonies of Fétis have been recorded. These sources may not be good enough and though hopefully there are better ones.
Symphony no.2 ; Symphony no.1.