Alfredo d'Ambrosio (1871-1914) violin concertos on DVD

Started by Martin Eastick, Monday 22 March 2021, 16:45

Previous topic - Next topic

Martin Eastick

I wonder if anyone here has come across the music of the Italian violinist and composer Alfredo d'Ambrosio. I had known about him for some time but always assumed his compositions to be mainly salon miniatures rather suited to the typical palm court ensembles of years past!. However, it came to my notice that there were more serious works to consider - not least the two violin concertos featured on this DVD (no CD unfortunately), which I duly ordered and have just received. I have only listened to the first so far but would certainly recommend this rather excellent production without hesitation! It would surely be a must-have for all lovers of full blooded late romanticism, well-presented with accomplished soloists backed up with committed orchestral support. Hyperion ought to seriously consider these two concerti before someone beats them to it for a CD release! https://sites.google.com/site/comitatoperigrandimaestri/home

eschiss1

also a string quartet, a suite for string quintet, etc. (Sorry about the full-page score excerpt on the string quartet page which hides the recording files underneath it.)

Alan Howe

Thanks, Martin. Couldn't resist this! Duly ordered.