Raff: Octet arranged for 16 strings

Started by Mark Thomas, Thursday 22 April 2021, 15:09

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Thomas

Buried deep on my hard disk I've found a recording of Raff's Octet arranged for 16 strings. There is nothing to jog my memory about where it came from, who the arranger or performers are, or when it was recorded. It probably came to me in 2018. Does anyone know anything else about it, and my apologies if it was one of you who gave it to me!

Mark Thomas

Turns out it's the Camerata Zürich at a live concert on 4 December 2016 at the Musikkonservatorium Zürich. Here's a link to the Vimeo recording

Alan Howe

It's GLORIOUS! Will somebody please tell me why this miraculous music isn't played everywhere?

Alan Howe

Also: I was remarking in another thread about what was lost as the 19th century progressed, i.e. sheer athletic dynamism. Here's a prime example.

Mark Thomas

Composed in the same year as the Leonore Symphony, the String Sextet, the Maria Stuart song cycle and the piano Variations on an Original Theme, all of them great works - the man was at his peak.

Alan Howe

And what a peak. A veritable Everest in his creative life!

Alan Howe

I'm sure this music doesn't need any such advocacy. It can speak (and peak) for itself.

Alan Howe

And that's the point, isn't it? This is palpably great music.

Mark Thomas

And yet, even now, you mention Raff to the average "music lover", or professional come to that, and they'll say "Raff who?".

eschiss1

From a lot of people you'd get the response Horst Christian Simco (Riff Raff). (Hadn't heard of him until I volunteered at the library, myself. Lots of his CDs in the kids section.)