Hans, Musiker – Tilmann Unger, Tenor
Lieschen – Anne-Aurore Cochet, Sopran
Habakuk – Hyunhan Hwang, Tenor
Veit Meinhart, Tischler und Dorfmusikant – Pawel Lawreszuk, Bass
Katharine, seine Frau – Fanny Lustaud, Mezzosopran
Susel, seine Tochter – Anna Graf, Sopran
Damen des Opern- und Extrachores des Theaters Aachen
Sinfonieorchester Aachen
Leitung: Christopher Ward (2 hrs., 25 min.)

Saturday night on Deutschlandfunk Kultur

Justin

Really looking forward to this one. The overture, which was broadcast last month, is enjoyable.

Justin

Heard the whole program today and I thought it was wonderful. I don't understand German, so I am not sure if they talked about a possible release, but this is a large polyphonic work that extends from Blech's purely orchestral works (Trost in der Natur and Waldwanderung).

mikehopf

Yes, wasn't it great! Hänsel und Gretel meets Tiefland.

DK

I tried tuning in but was having trouble with my internet connection and only managed to hear tantalizing bits...  If anyone was able to record this I'd be deeply grateful for a recording.

Mark Thomas

BerlinExpat

NB: Relocated here from Downloads board:

»AlpenkönigundMenschenfeind« (Alpine King and Misanthrope)

In Tyrol, fairytale time and world.

ACT 1
Hans, a music student, has finally come back to Tyrol, his home country, after a long stay in Italy. Rappelkopf's daughter Martha awaits him longingly and tells her lover that her father has still not given permission for their wedding. A hunter, the disguised Alpine king, meets the two of them and promises to help them. Herr von Rappelkopf pretends to be a house tyrant, nobody, including his wife, can please him. You can hear him clattering and grumbling around the house again today. The servant Habakuk, who is currently working in the garden and using a knife, rushes over without putting it down. When he sees the armed man, Rappelkopf thinks he is going to stab him and flees the house in a panic.

ACT 2
Rappelkopf bought a remote house in the mountains that belonged to the carpenter Veit in order to be able to live there undisturbed and safely. When he spends the first night there, he cannot control his fear and stays awake. Astragalus, the King of the Alps appears to him and Rappelkopf thinks he is dreaming, Astragalus asks him to return to his family. Rappelkopf refuses because, he claims, he is not welcome there and his life is threatened. The alpine king promises to prove him wrong and transforms the incredulous listener into his brother-in-law. Then they both go to Rappelkopf's house together.

ACT 3
Rappelkopf has been transformed by the King of the Alps into his brother-in-law, his wife's brother Joseph. When he came to see his relatives, he was able to convince himself that his wife Sabine and daughter Martha were very afraid for their husband and father, who had suddenly disappeared and could not be found. Rappelkopf is quite impressed. He is even more affected when he sees himself rumbling and screaming around the house. The alpine king has changed into his own form to show him how to behave towards his own relatives. Full of remorse, the real Rappelkopf, still disguised as a brother-in-law, asks forgiveness and begs the King of the Alps to give him back his own "I". Astragalus transforms the "brother-in-law" back into the real Rappelkopf. The one who has been converted is as if transformed: he realizes his mistakes and promises improvement, Hans and Martha are finally allowed to marry.

Alan Howe

DK

Justin

Ebubu

Wow, there are still composers I'd never heard of ?  ;)
With an impressive catalogue, too !  Hope this new recording and future release will suscitate curiosity about his works.

Justin

Ebubu, I would highly recommend listening to Blech's "Waldwanderung" in our downloads folder. It is a great example of his talent. And thank you for the word of the day: Suscitate!

eschiss1

the title of the music suggests some sussurations might (edit) be going on, too ;) Anyway, yes!

Justin