Furtwängler Symphony No.1

Started by Alan Howe, Thursday 20 May 2021, 22:20

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

As to Fogel, he in fact reviewed both Albrecht's and Walter's recordings (of the 2nd symphony) for Fanfare. I think I recall both reviews but am not sure, and lacking access to those issues anymore (between getting rid of some things when moving apartments and yet -more- things when putting stuff in storage for a year more recently...) and also lacking access to the Fanfare Magazine Archive online I can't say for sure which he reviewed more highly, though I -think- he regarded the Albrecht as slightly better and the Walter as, yes, terrible. But I may be mistaken. He did always strike me, imho, as, along with the late William Youngren, a better reviewer in general (whether or not I agreed with particular reviews.)

eschiss1

I recall hearing the violin sonatas but I forget in whose recording. I have a subscription to Amazon Music which I think has at least one if not more recordings of his sonatas and quintet streaming, there are/were recordings iirc on cpo, the late :( label Timpani and elsewhere. (I wish in passing that the notes I checked (online) to one of the Naxos recording had been updated to acknowledge that there -are- now published scores - part of that Furtwängler edition- no longer only, solely, in manuscript, to the (early) works on that recording, and have been for some time; it's nice to keep up to date (if one can?). I'm guessing the same error mutatis mutandis may be in the notes to their other recordings as well...)

MartinH

Today Records International listed the new CPO recording for $34 - that's the price of two disks. So I checked and sure enough the new recording is spread out over two, coming in at over 88 minutes. Are the tempos that much slower than the two previous recordings? Were they cut in some way? i'm a sucker for new recordings of odd repertoire, but in this case I'll pass. I did notice that JPC offers it for the price of one disk, but the shipping charges would make up for that. It hasn't shown up at either Presto or Amazon.

Alan Howe

Rainolf

All three recordings offer the complete, uncut work. There are a few instrumentation differences between Walter and the others, because of the somewhat problematic philological situation. Albrecht made a critical edition of the score from which Haimor conducts. Haimor's 88 minutes are mostly the result of his very slow third movement and some broad parts of the finale. I wish, Martin, that you soon will have the chance to purchase the recording! The price of two CDs is not justified in this case (as with the long Bruckner 8 and Mahler recordings).

Alan Howe

I admit that I don't care. Sorry.

Rainolf

I know, dear Alan, I know... And thanks for giving Martin a good tip while I was still writing.

MartinH

We must have different Prestos! Here, they're only the Marco Polo. I'll wait.

Alan Howe

semloh

Thanks, John. You've convinced me that it's time to set the Marco Polo aside and splash out on the cpo.

semloh

John, you are hereby officially and irrevocably freed of any legal or moral responsibility for any feelings of dissatisfaction that I may experience upon purchasing said CD pursuant to your comments!!  ;D

Alan Howe

I think you're 100% right, John. It's the quality of the performances that makes all the difference in both symphonies.