Emilie Mayer - Symphony No. 3

Started by britishcomposer, Monday 24 May 2021, 14:01

Previous topic - Next topic

britishcomposer

Dear members,

I decided to upload a recording of orchestral works by Emilie Mayer and Friedrich Wilhelm Kücken.
I understand from interviews that at least the works by Mayer will be released by Dabringhaus und Grimm in autumn.
The files will have to be removed in time. I would appreciate a note in case I should forget about this!

Mark Thomas

Thanks for the upload. We usually remember to delete such broadcast recordings when the time comes. The symphony's movements re:

I. Adagio - Allegro con brio
II. Un poco adagio
III. Scherzo (Allegro)
IV. Finale Militair (Adagio - Allegro vivace)

eschiss1

I'd hoped cpo would continue the cycle, but at least someone's working on it :) And thanks!

Richard Moss

Looking forward very much to listening to these works - thanks for the upload. I've loved all her previous works available on UC or CD and do not expect these to be any different.  Like Brahms et al, melody flows out of every pore (metaphorically!)

In looking for further information on Symphony No. 3 (which, apart from IMSLP, was 'slim pickins'), I came across this link to Symphony No. 6 in D major.

https://www.trubcher.com/emilie-mayer-sinfonie-in-e-orchestra

Does anyone have any more information on either of these two symphonies (i.e. nos 3 & 6)?

Best wishes

Richard

eschiss1

which was very confusing until I realized symphony no.6 is in E (no.5 being in D).

Richard Moss

Double-A

Are there any more "military" symphonies?  I know of Haydn's #100 (?) of course and there is Schnyder von Wartensee #3 (again ?).

These three are all in C and presumably Schnyder and Mayer knew Haydn's work (whose name is as always not by Haydn, unlike the other examples) and now wonders if Mayer knew of Schnyder's contribution to the "genre".  The "military" instruments are reserved for the last movement in all three symphonies.

I find it also interesting that the parts of Mayer's work (at IMSLP) are in her handwriting (at least they look like that to me) with the exception of one part.  I once considered to construct a score form the parts but the job looked too big for me.

Alan Howe

Let's stick with Mayer 3 here. Please do start a new thread if you want to discuss 'military symphonies'.

semloh

Sincere thanks for these uploads, britishcomposer. I am looking forward to listening to them.

Double-A

Having listened to the recording I have to say that it is excellently played and conducted. Tempi rather forward leaning which seems appropriate for Mayer and maybe especially for this work. 

The work itself is, to put it in one word, fun.  It is Mayer's first symphony in a major key and it comes along energetically and largely upbeat.  the scherzo is a little darker and also--almost necessarily--the slow introduction.

What struck me most are the many themes that remind me of Haydn.  Right at the beginning of the slow introduction is a melody that nobody would be surprised to hear in a Haydn symphony.  The main theme of the first movement, the theme of the slow movement and others also have a "Haydn-sound" to them. And of course the "militaire" character is in itself a reference to Haydn.  What exactly Mayer had in mind when she made these choices I could not speculate.  The last "military" movement is to my ears a bit monotone and not a very effective close.

semloh

Yes, Haydn in a thin but very agreeable disguise! Not a bad model for a new symphonist, I'd say.

terry martyn

I wonder if anyone has heard anything concrete about MDG´s plans to release the CD containing her Third Symphony?

Gareth Vaughan

At the risk of wandering off topic slightly, does anyone know if Emilie Mayer's 8th symphony is extant or not? We have now been privileged to hear all the others, apart from no. 5, which is, according to Grove, lost.

4candles

Unless I'm severely misinterpreting things, Gareth, Grove is wrong. After a cursory glance on the KVK catalogue there are several listings for a 5th Symphony by Mayer. Conversely I don't see her 8th mentioned anywhere, as expected.

Alan Howe

This was the listing I posted on another Mayer thread:

Symphony No. 1 in C Minor (premièred before 4 March 1847)
Symphony No. 2 in E Minor (premièred before 4 March 1847)
Symphony No. 3 in C Major "Military" (premièred 21 April 1850)
Symphony No. 4 in B Minor (premièred 16 March 1851)
Symphony No. 5 in D Major (premièred 1 May 1852) - presumed lost
Symphony No. 6 in E Major (premièred 25 April 1853)
Symphony No. 7 in F Minor (1855-56 ; premièred in April 1862) - mislabelled on the Dreyer Gaido CD as "No. 5"
Symphony No. 8 in F Major (1856-57 ; premièred in March 1862) - presumed lost