Emilie Mayer - Symphony No. 3

Started by britishcomposer, Monday 24 May 2021, 14:01

Previous topic - Next topic

BerlinExpat

Plus:
Sinfonie Nr. 9 in g-Moll (aufgeführt 28. April 1871)

4candles

My apologies Alan, I missed that one. And apologies to you too, Gareth for my presumptions!

Gareth Vaughan

And my apologies too for not referring to that earlier Mayer thread - I thought we had sorted this question out before, but I couldn't remember how we had sorted it out. But now BerlinExpat has thrown in (like the proverbial spanner) a Symphony No. 9!

Alan Howe

QuoteSinfonie Nr. 9 in g-Moll (aufgeführt 28. April 1871)

Could you give us details of your source, please?

BerlinExpat

I have checked back and must apologise. The g-moll symphony performed on 28. April 1871 was by another woman: Aline Hunt!
I thought she was the only the conductor, but in fact was conducting her own symphony!

I sorry for leading you all up the garden path, but where then is Aline Hunt's symphony?

Where are all the overtures Emilie Mayer is supposed to have composed?

Alan Howe

No problem - thanks for clearing up the confusion.

Perhaps you'd like to start a new thread on Aline Hunt? If so, please go ahead.

tpaloj

Quote from: BerlinExpat on Wednesday 01 December 2021, 22:43
Where are all the overtures Emilie Mayer is supposed to have composed?
There are scores and parts for 4 different overtures by Mayer on imslp. Do more than those exist?

Gareth Vaughan

QuoteWhere are all the overtures Emilie Mayer is supposed to have composed?

The autograph full scores and ms parts of her overtures in D major, C major and D minor are in the Staatsbibliothek zu Berlin. They have been digitised and can be viewed online via the music catalogue. These versions are also available at IMSLP, as tpaloj has noted.  I think, together with the Faust Overture of course, these are the only extant overtures by Mayer.

cypressdome

Apparently, the three missing overtures include the following: Ouverture serieuse (performed in Stettin, 1879), Ouvertura giocosa (performed in Stettin, 1883), and an early Overture in C minor for which sketches exist in the Berlin State Library.  Since the two overtures were performed in Stettin/Szczecin one can hope that the performance material managed to survive the ravages of time and two world wars and will turn up in Poland one day.  Doubtful, but one can hope.

Aragion

Hello!
Could you also post the recordings of two Flotow's compositions that were broadcasted in this program?

Mark Thomas

With the imminent arrival of MDG's commercial recording, britishcomposer's recording of the original broadcast of the Emilie Mayer works has been removed form our Downloads Board..

Alan Howe

And now a rival recording, plus Symphony No.7, forthcoming from cpo (but evidently not until November??):
https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/cpo/detail/-/art/emilie-mayer-symphonien-nr-3-7/hnum/10892972

Performers: NDR Radiophilharmonie, c. Jan Willem de Vriend

terry martyn

Am I right in thinking, Alan, that the cpo recording of these two symphonies will complete the recordings of all extant symphonies? If so, I think I will order this recording and wait in patience.

terry martyn

Or is this forthcoming recording of the Seventh Symphony, its second incarnation? (the first being as "Symphony No 5", alongside the Le Beau Piano Concerto, on www.dreyer-gaido.de and still available to purchase on amazon.co.uk).

Alan Howe

This is what we know (I think):

Symphony No. 1 in C Minor (premièred before 4 March 1847)
Symphony No. 2 in E Minor (premièred before 4 March 1847)
Symphony No. 3 in C Major "Military" (premièred 21 April 1850)
Symphony No. 4 in B Minor (premièred 16 March 1851)
Symphony No. 5 in D Major (premièred 1 May 1852) - presumed lost
*Symphony No. 6 in E Major (premièred 25 April 1853)
Symphony No. 7 in F Minor (1855-56 ; premièred in April 1862) - mislabelled on the Dreyer Gaido CD as "No. 5"
Symphony No. 8 in F Major (1856-57 ; premièred in March 1862) - presumed lost

*This only leaves No.6 to be recorded commercially.

Please consult new thread on Symphony No.6:
http://www.unsungcomposers.com/forum/index.php/topic,8322.msg89628.html#msg89628