News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Film music....

Started by monafam, Sunday 21 June 2009, 16:03

Previous topic - Next topic

JimL

Quote from: sdtom on Thursday 02 July 2009, 15:45
The Korngold Violin Concerto contains material from Another Dawn, Juarez, Anthony Adverse, and The Prince and the Pauper.  Korngold made a bargain with the Warner Brothers that allowed him to reuse his material in his concert pieces.
Thomas
I thought it also made use of material from The Sea Hawk.

And now an amusing bit of information retrieved about the director of The Sea Hawk, Michael Curtiz:

"Ever since Michael Curtiz landed in Manhattan on the Fourth of July, 1928, and pretended that he thought the fireworks were in honor of his arrival, he has been a natural for joshing Warner press-agentry. Everyone in Hollywood knows that the first thing he did when he got there was to buy a Packard which he kept bringing back to the shop until a curious mechanic found that he never shifted the gears beyond second. Son of an architect, graduate of Budapest's Royal Academy of Theatre and Art, a famed European director when the Warners tapped him to replace Ernst Lubitsch, Michael Curtiz (né Kertez) is the butt of more Hollywood stories than Sam Goldwyn. The only one Michael Curtiz bothers to deny is that he once worked as a circus strong man.

Warner jokers once hung signs on a Curtiz set reading "English Broken Here," "Curtiz Spoken Here." Some Curtizisms: "Next time I send some fool for something I go myself," "Sit a little bit more femine (feminine)," "Act easy-go-lucky." Prop boys on a Curtiz set are supposed to know that "boy cows" are not steers but cow boys. Malapropism is not Curtiz' only peculiarity. He addresses everyone at Warner's up to Bette Davis as "you bum," gives the best borscht bawlings-out in the business. He takes no lunch, tried to coax actors to have an aspirin instead, uses "after-lunch actor" as his supreme epithet of contempt. When anything goes wrong on the set, Curtiz is immediately convinced that he is being jinxed by the presence of his personal secretary, whom he calls "Dracula," stops everything to find him. Once John Barrymore, visiting a Santa Monica dance marathon as it passed the 200-hour mark, encouraged one of the contestants by remarking: "You don't know what it is to be tired unless you've worked for Curtiz." Big, balding, muscular Director Curtiz is married to but living apart from Scena rist Bess Meredyth. Only extravagance he permits himself on his $3,000 a week is his two-goal polo."

Note the original spelling of his name in bold, courtesy of your's truly.  I wonder if he's any relation to Istvan Kertesz?

Hovite

Quote from: Peter1953 on Sunday 21 June 2009, 16:28
For me there is one real hit: the very famous Warsaw Concerto for piano and orchestra for the film Dangerous Moonlight (1941) by Richard Addinsell (1901-77).

I have seen the film. If I remember correctly, the composer in the film (Stefan Radetzky) writes a full blown late Romantic piano concerto in three movements, but the only bit we get to hear is the Andante, and that was released as the Warsaw Concerto. The outer movements weren't needed for the film, so they weren't written. I find it amazing that no one commissioned Addinsell to write the missing movements.

At the time it was commonplace for feature films to include newly composed classical music for piano and orchestra. A particularly fine example is the Cornish Rhapsody, by Hubert Bath, from a film called Love Story (1944). Also worth checking out are The Spellbound Concerto, by Miklós Rózsa, from Spellbound (1945), The Dream of Olwen, by Charles Williams, from While I Live (1947), and The Mansell Concerto, by Kenneth Leslie Smith, from The Woman's Angle (1952).

Also not to be missed is the aria from Salammbô in Citizen Kane (1941).

Hovite

A more recent example of a piano concerto derived from a film score is The Piano Concerto by Michael Nyman, from the score of The Piano.

monafam

Quote from: Hovite on Wednesday 08 July 2009, 23:53
A more recent example of a piano concerto derived from a film score is The Piano Concerto by Michael Nyman, from the score of The Piano.

I think I actually own this one.  I've never seen the movie though.   ;D

JimL

Oh you should get it!  Holly Hunter and Harvey Keitel are great, but the movie is most noteworthy as the film debut of Anna Paquin.  I believe she was the youngest or second youngest actor/actress to win an Oscar for her performance.  I think she was 11 at the time.

sdtom