Brian's 'Gothic' at the Proms 2011?

Started by Alan Howe, Monday 20 December 2010, 19:26

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

Groves' recording of the first part of the Gothic (not presently available commercially.)

Amphissa

Well, I think I'd prefer to listen to the entire work anyway.

Paul Barasi

It may take me a decade to play through Fibich's Hippodamia trilogy but possibly a lifetime to get through Havergal Brian's symphonies.  But I do find the Gothic impressive and the composer fascinating, not least the (world record?) time between writing his first symphonyand its premiere.  I also liked his story of being sacked as a young joiner for not only having done his job to plane some boards but then giving his employer a bonus by writing down his compositions on them! Was there ever anyone like him, in life or sound?

eschiss1

Hope those who are going (this Sunday?) have a wonderful time!

Delicious Manager

I was horrified to learn that this historic Prom is not being televised on the BBC. Shame on them!

eschiss1

i hope they are at least broadcasting and streaming it as usual (or as used to be usual. I know one has to sign up for a free account now, which I have done and use- I still enjoy Radio 3 enough to use it. The Sondheim Road Show hour - did not catch all of it, but I am a great fan of that man of our musicals - was quite good, and I am glad that that work of his is being produced in London- I've only just recently heard it myself, though my favorite musical is another one of his...)

Paul Barasi

Hmm, Beecham's apparently available now, Naxos have reissued the Marco Polo ... a third version too? Wonder how big a pricetag BBC would put on it.

eschiss1

the Naxos reissue may be a limited edition timed for this event, or so I gather- or maybe just the special packaging/version/etc. is.  I wonder if there are plans to issue a new edition of the score- I've seen articles about it (not that specifically, just preparing a better score than the Cranz, etc., though the manuscript of the full score of the finale is missing etc.) from a few years back from- let me see... :)  ah, yes, I think it's this I was thinking about, and perhaps it was in preparation for the Brisbane performance (as I didn't realize when I read it)- but I wonder if it will be made available commercially... hrm... well, I can always ask the Society, they have their email, etc. Interesting!

Mark Thomas

Eric, the Gothic Prom is indeed being broadcast, and streamed, live by BBC Radio 3.

Paul Barasi

Well, as for Naxotic Gothics: they're piling 'em in HMV + selling 'em cheap. No sign of the other one, though.

albion

I'm going to be at the Royal Albert Hall tomorrow for the historic Gothic Symphony performance and so won't be able to record the live broadcast on Radio 3 (I'm also working next Tuesday when the broadcast will be repeated at 2pm).

It would be great to put a copy into the BMB archive so that more listeners have long-term access to it. I'm sure that many members with greater technical knowhow than myself will be recording the broadcast either live or through the BBC 'listen again' service (it will be available over the internet for the whole of next week, but my internet connection is dreadful at the moment and couldn't reliably stream twenty seconds, let alone two hours).

If anyone could send me a high-quality recording, that would be very welcome: the audio files should be uploaded to mediafire as usual and ideally be divided into the separate movements to make downloading easier (rather than one enormous file). If several members are kind enough to send files, please don't be offended if some are used rather than others.

:)

Alan Howe

Mark Thomas and I will be there too, but I'm sure hard disk recorders will be whirring away at home at the same time...

Mark Thomas

John, I've set up two different computers to record the Radio 3 digital transmission (not the internet streaming transmission) while I'm in London at the RAH, so I hope to be able to get one decent copy from the two recordings. I'll let you have the finished product, of course.

Gareth Vaughan

You lucky people! Very sadly, I can't get away this weekend so I shall be listening to it on Radio 3.  However, I'd really love a recording. If all goes well will you guys be uploading to mediafire?

Mark Thomas

Yes, I'll let John (Albion) have my recoding and he can add it to BMB, Gareth.