'frauenkomponiert': Ruth Gipps Symphony no. 2. Dorothy Howells Koong Shee Ballet

Started by Wheesht, Saturday 29 May 2021, 08:33

Previous topic - Next topic

Wheesht

The 'frauenkomponiert' concerts in Switzerland that had to be postponed are now scheduled for 6,7 and 8 June, with live streams and a radio recording. Works featured include Symphony no. 2 by Ruth Gipps and Koong Shee Ballet by Dorothy Howells. Details here.

semloh

Which reminds me that Ruth Gipps' 2nd Symphony features in this year's Proms Concerts, and is the only work that gets anywhere close to our remit.

Gareth Vaughan

I would be very interested to hear the Koong Shee ballet. That is a real rarity. Ruth Gipps' 2nd symphony is a superb work and it has been recorded twice. There are, however, 4 other symphonies by Gipps which have not fared so well - and No. 4 (which, at last, has also received a recording on Chandos), in particular, is magnificent IMHO. I hope we shall get to hear these too in the concert halls.

eschiss1

Ah, I see the concert with Gipps' 2nd symphony in the Proms Concerts. This summer's Proms are more interesting than the last two, especially for anyone whose interests extend to e.g. Robert WL Simpson's music, say (only in one concert but that's rather more than usual.) (Or early Zemlinsky.)