Léon Boëllmann Symphony & orchestral works, on Fuga Libera

Started by Sharkkb8, Sunday 30 May 2021, 01:30

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

Alan Howe

...and it's now arrived.

The Symphony is certainly presented here in a manner befitting the premiere commercial recording of the work. It is also a thoroughly apt tribute to the life and work of conductor Patrick Devin who died last September.

The work is rather lovely: dating from 1894 it is one of a number of symphonies from that period of a similar hue, e.g. by Franck, Chausson, Magnard, d'Indy, Dukas, etc. Wagner obviously lurks in the background, but what I remember are some exquisitely beautiful passages, in particular the noble D flat theme in the first movement which almost wanders into Elgar territory.

A mandatory purchase, I'd've thought.

Mark Thomas

I have always enjoyed the BBC broadcast of the work, with the Ulster Orchestra conducted by Howard Williams, but this new recording is a great improvement on it. Obviously it's far superior sonically, but Davin's interpretation is much tauter and the instrumental detail much clearer. This is particularly so in the long first movement,  bringing real momentum and direction to a movement which is much more episodic and rhapsodic in Williams' hands. Listening to it today, I was reminded of one of those programmes on TV where an old painting is cleaned and suddenly looks resplendent in its original bright colours. It's a very fine symphony indeed.

dmitterd

My copy is on its way from Presto; hurry up, air post! On Boëllmann, some may be interested to know I've been working on a parallel FR/EN edition of a biography, originally published in French in 1901. The goal is to have it published by year's end - I'll obviously let the board know once it is available, as, given the interest in this recording, there may be a few interested in purchasing it.

cheers,
Daniel

Justin

I would certainly be interested, Daniel! Looking forward to news of its release.