Pabst Piano Trio on Naxos

Started by eschiss1, Thursday 03 December 2020, 20:13

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

Alan Howe

Details:

Piano Trio in A Major (1895)
I. Allegro con brio (6:42)
II. Intermezzo: Tempo di menuetto (5:26)
III. Rêverie élégiaque: Andante molto cantabile (3:34)
IV. Finale: Allegro moderato - Poco più tranquillo - Maestoso - Quasi marcia funebra (7:21)

Jonathan

I'll be keeping an ear open for this one, hope it is as good as his piano concerto.

eschiss1

Amazon lists an earlier recording of this coupling (also the "Brahms Trio", different timings in the Pabst so presumably different recording...) which they date to 2002 or 2007 (already available for streaming and purchase), I see, so it's not quite a world premiere. I did think it was, though.

Mark Thomas

The recordings on the Naxos CD date from 2017 (Tchaikovsky) and 2018 (Pabst). It's definitely a new recording, albeit from the same performers as the earlier release.

eschiss1

I have a temporary Amazon Music account (edit.) courtesy of a new computer, will have a listen to the older recording at least so as to hear what the work sounds like :) (I thought the trio was on IMSLP for sure but I see it is not :) )
(Oh, yes it is. It's the work titled "A la mémoire de Antoine Rubinstein", not Piano Trio. Ah-hah!)

Mark Thomas

The older performance can also be streamed on Spotify.

Mark Thomas

The sound on the first recording isn't great - rather distant and echoey. I'm sure that the new Naxos recording will improve on that.

Alan Howe

If you want a full-on romantic piano trio, choc full of melody, charm, passion and incident, Pabst's your man. A lovely creation.

Rainolf

Yes, a beautiful work and a fine performance! The Russian Piano Trio series of the Brahms Trio can warmly be recommended in general.