Louise Farrenc: Symphonies 1 and 3

Started by 4candles, Wednesday 09 June 2021, 16:25

Previous topic - Next topic

4candles

According to previous topics/posts on the forum, these works have been recorded a few times before, but this time it's with a period orchestra. Perhaps this then lends this particular recording an opportunity for attention.

Erato label, for release in the UK on 9 July according to Presto Music – Louise Farrenc / Symphonies 1 & 3.

Alan Howe

The cpo recordings do the job for me - I don't like the attenuated sound of the high strings or the lack of vibrato here. But maybe that's just me.

jdperdrix

For viewers in France and Germany (or elsewhere with a VPN?) there is a video of Laurence Equilbey conducting both symphonies with her orchestra https://www.arte.tv/fr/videos/102491-000-A/insula-orchestra-joue-les-symphonies-n-1-et-3-de-louise-farrenc/

Wheesht

It looks as though this is freely available outwith these countries – my VPN is currently set to Norway and I can watch it.

Alan Howe

If you listen to the cpo recordings, you'll notice how much more expressive they are. This is as much a function of what you can do with string vibrato as anything else.

semloh

By way of an appetizer, Ilja has been kind enough to upload both these symphonies in non-commercial versions. Thanks, Ilja.

Ilja

It seems to me that the Equilbey recordings are slightly off-pitch throughout. I thought something was weird, and when you compare it to either of the other recordings of the symphonies it really stands out.

Edit: meant off-pitch, not off-key.

Alan Howe

Is it a question of the pitch at which this orchestra plays? Is there a difference between modern standard pitch and HIP pitch in this case?

jdperdrix

I've read that Insula Orchestra uses a pitch of 430 (the French official pitch was set at 435 in 1859).

Sharkkb8

Quote from: jdperdrix on Friday 11 June 2021, 08:13... uses a pitch of 430 (the French official pitch was set at 435 in 1859).

This is fascinating - for those of us who have far less musical education in our early lives than most of the other members, could someone elaborate?  Or perhaps suggest/link a particularly thorough and/or accessible source online, to follow up?  Thanx in advance!

Sharkkb8

jdperdrix

Quotes from the entry "Pitch (music)" on wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pitch_(music)#Pitch_standards_and_standard_pitch:

QuoteStandard pitch is a more widely accepted convention. The A above middle C is usually set at 440 Hz (often written as "A = 440 Hz" or sometimes "A440"), although other frequencies, such as 442 Hz, are also often used as variants. Another standard pitch, the so-called Baroque pitch, has been set in the 20th century as A = 415 Hz—approximately an equal-tempered semitone lower than A440 to facilitate transposition. The Classical pitch can be set to either 427 Hz (about halfway between A415 and A440) or 430 Hz (also between A415 and A440 but slightly sharper than the quarter tone). And ensembles specializing in authentic performance set the A above middle C to 432 Hz or 435 Hz when performing repertoire from the Romantic era.

Alan Howe

Does this explain your last post, Ilja?

Ilja

It seems to. I've played around with the pitch for a bit, and 430 vs. 440 appears to make sense.

4candles

This disk is now recording of the week at Presto Music, with an accompanying article promising further volumes in the series – including "another symphony, two concert overtures and two sets of concertante variations for piano and orchestra...".

4c