Radio France 1st July: Augusta Holmès, Mel Bonis, Marie Jaëll, Charlotte Sohy

Started by Wheesht, Thursday 17 June 2021, 13:32

Previous topic - Next topic

Wheesht

The closing concert of the Palazzetto Bru Zane festival, entitled 'Legendary Women', will be broadcast live on Radio France Musique on 1 July at 20.00 CET:
Augusta HOLMÈS
La Nuit et l'Amour, interlude extrait de l'ode symphonique Ludus pro Patria
Mel BONIS
Femmes de légende
Marie JAËLL
Concerto pour violoncelle
Charlotte SOHY
Symphonie « Grande Guerre »

Richard Moss

Wheesht,

Great spot!  I'm surprised you haven't been overwhelmed with replies so far.

Both Augusta Holmes and Marie Jaell are composers whose recorded works I have some acquaintance with but not the other two.  It seems a possible mouth-watering broadcast and if anyone has the expertise to record it and upload, that would really be appreciated.

Best wishes and keep safe

Richard

Gareth Vaughan

I absolutely agree. This is potentially a wonderful concert of rarely heard music. If it can be recorded I would be extremely grateful.

Wheesht

It is always interesting to see what causes lots of reactions right away and what doesn't (or only after some time), and I like how unpredictable it sometimes is.

I will certainly do my best to record this broadcast. I have been looking at some French websites about Charlotte Sohy and I believe a CD was mentioned somewhere. There is a recording of her symphony available on Vimeo with the same conductor, Debora Waldman, and the Orchestre Victor Hugo, Franche Comté.

Gareth Vaughan

And a very good work it is, IMHO. At least, from my hearing of that performance.

Alan Howe

Alan Howe

For those who can read French, here's some info on Charlotte Sohy:
https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlotte_Sohy

Her only Symphony in C sharp minor has the title 'Great War' and dates from 1914-17. Listening to it, I'm reminded somewhat of Chausson. It's a lovely piece, well worthy of revival.

jdperdrix

QuoteThere is a recording of her symphony available on Vimeo with the same conductor, Debora Waldman, and the Orchestre Victor Hugo, Franche Comté.
Quite interesting indeed. She had good professors (Vierne, d'Indy), which is obvious in her symphony. I've never heard an orchestral piece by Mel Bonis. This concert will be most welcome. I'll try to get it from France Musique (from their replay section).

Wheesht

Here's an interview in French with her grandson, François-Henri Labey, a professional musician, on the Présence Compositrices website.

eschiss1

Labey? I'm guessing related also to composer Marcel... ah, her husband from 1909, I see :) (I've run into some of her husband's works and arrangements - e.g. of a horn and orchestra work by Dukas, iirc - on IMSLP. Labey's symphonies (pub. 1904, 1909) might be interesting, don't know.)

Wheesht

There is a comprehensive Labey biography and work list on the Musica et Memoria website, with a description of the four symphonies in the body of the text.

Wheesht

The concert will be available on Radio France Musique for a month. My recording of tonight's live broadcast is on my hard disk.
There was an interesting announcement in the intermission: Bru Zane are apparently working on a big recording project of female composers. More information to follow in a few months.

alberto

Le Songe de Cleopatre, excerpt from the suite "Femmes de Legende" by Mel Bonis will be performed also at the Festival Berlioz , la Cote St Andrè, France, on the 20th of August (Orch. de Metz, D.Reiland cond.).

Mark Thomas

Thanks, Wheesht, for the recordings of the concert now in our Downloads Board. Very much appreciated.

Richard Moss

Wheesht

Can I pls echo Mark's thanks - very much appreciated and I look forward to an enjoyable listen

Best wishes

Richard