Elfrida Andree: Symphony No.1

Lovely stuff!

mikehopf

Aulin, Moberg, Andrée: Orchestral Works
Gothenburg Symphony Orchestra - Compositeur : Various Composers
Parution chez Naxos Sweden - Nilento le 4 juin 2021

sdtom

Alan Howe

See above, Tom, for US download release.

Mark Thomas

Also available on Spotify, as almost every new digital release seems to be. A free subscription really is an excellent way to sample new classical releases in full.

Sharkkb8

...and the Apple Music download:

https://music.apple.com/us/album/aulin-moberg-andr%C3%A9e-orchestral-works/1562896799

A $10/month Apple subscription yields access to virtually every album we talk about on this forum, as Mark mentioned with Spotify, I gather it's similar with Naxos Music Library.  The dilemma, of course, is that one wants to "reward" artists and record companies by actually buying their products, at the going rate.  But one just can't afford to buy every recording that comes along, which is why a monthly subscription can be so valuable, for the "second tier" stuff.   ;)

sdtom

I will go the Spotify way, as Mark called it "second-tier," unless I am missing something. Pleasant but...

terry martyn

I enjoy the Andree Symphony that Sterling released and you can tell she was a pupil of Reinecke. I would love to get this newly recorded music by buying the CD, if and when there is one.

terry martyn

Well,the CD has arrived from Sweden and what a treat it really is!. Two Swedish and one Finnish female Romantic composers on a recording on which the sound engineer has distinguished himself.
  I bought it for the Andree,and am not disappointed,but I think that the first work on the CD - Parisian {sic} Scenes- described as Tableaux Parisienne,but in reality an orchestral suite, is the standout work. Composed by the sister of the celebrated violinist,Tor Aulin,these are a series of thumbnail sketches of  Parisienne life in the 1880s that could stand up with the more famous suites of Massenet or Moszkowski. If I thought that these were scenes from the Stockholm of the grandson on Bernadotte rather than depictions of the Paris of Waldteufel,I think I can be forgiven,but Valborg Aulin's composition is melodious,fast-moving,and light of touch. I played it through twice and it did not outstay its welcome.
  This was followed by Sunrise,an orchestral suite composed in 1907 by Ida Moberg,which sounds as if she was acquainted with Debussy. Not bad,and described in the booklet as "neo-romantic" ,which is a little misleading as the music is mainstream late-Romantic,perhaps sounding half a generation earlier than it actually is.
   Unlike many others,I am rather fond of the Sterling CD of Andree's Second Symphony and there is no disputing that she was a loyal pupil of Reinecke. So, I was particularly interested in how the premiere recording of her First would sound.  I have been listening all week to the orchestral works of Gouvy, and I reckon it would not have surprised me if this symphony had been one of his. Alice Mary Smith this is not, but steeped in the Leipzig School, although Reinecke is not to the fore,with the possible exception of the brassy last minute or so. I didn't find it as memorable as the Aulin,and maybe the finale was a trifle heavier than the rest of the work,and there is nothing Scandinavian about it,but I enjoyed it far more than,say,the Grieg,which I think from memory was composed about the same time. 

eschiss1

From what I have heard of Alice Mary Smith's symphonies that can only be a recommendation (assuming you meant that as a positive comment in Smith's  direction- come to think of it, I'm not quite sure). I could not understand the praise. (Whereas what I -have- heard of Ms. Aulin's music - mostly her two string quartets, so far - merits further investigation and much praise, and makes me also want to hear this recording. I haven't heard enough by Moberg or Andrée to say- yet.)

terry martyn

At least one of Alice Mary Smith's tunes sticks obstinately in my ear. I like her symphonies, but the reason I mentioned her is that she was one of the few recorded female composers active in the 1860s,at the time the Andree Symphony was composed ,but she sounds like a follower of George Macfarren and not like a member of the Leipzig School.  Just my opinion,of course.

Edit:  It seems that she actually was a pupil of Macfarren.  Whew!

Alan Howe

Well, my copy of the CD finally arrived yesterday, having been ordered in early November. Elfrida's Andrée's Symphony No.1 (1868) turns out to be a fascinating discovery: particularly lovely (and characteristic, it seems) is the serene writing for strings (she's very fond of tremolandos), eloquently rendered here by the Gothenburg Symphony. How good it is to hear this music played by a top-flight orchestra.

Overall, though, this isn't really music that grabs one's attention. Might it have made more of an impression if had been called 'Serenade' or 'Sinfonietta', I wonder?

razorback

No one ostensibly getting the physical CD copy of the Aulin, Vainberg, Moberg, Andree music is listing the seller here.  If your members are only referencing the Sterling CD, make sure you note that clearly in your comments.

I may have found a website selling a physical CD of this music.  If and when my CD arrives, I will put the seller on this thread at that time if there is a need for doing so.