Hurwitz on modern-day performance idiocies

Started by Alan Howe, Monday 09 August 2021, 12:54

Previous topic - Next topic

semloh

That so eloquently characterizes my own view of Hurwitz, Alan, and of the personal preferences that prejudice his assessments. Everyone is entitled to their opinion though, and I think it's only a problem if people regard him as the supreme authority and uncritically adopt those preferences.

Double-A

I think two characteristics of Hurwitz that make him attractive are his joyous approach and his genuine enthusiasm.  A good example of both of those is his video on Röntgen that was praised on this forum not long ago.

Alan Howe

It would be good if, say, a prominent British critic were to do video reviews along the same lines. We need more voices 'out there'.

semloh

Alan Howe

Unfortunately I don't have the academic 'chops' for the task. Someone like Martin Anderson would do a good job - or David Owen Norris.

Gareth Vaughan

Alan Howe

Depends on the size of their house/apartment and overflow room!

FBerwald

As much of a troll that he is, he often makes a lot of sense. Did anyone watch the latest? Beethoven in Cristofori's Bathroom. Hilarious and relevant. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiTmAM_81Nw 

Alan Howe

Yes - agreed. A muzzled Eroica. A mighty symphony with its teeth removed.

Gareth Vaughan

I listened to some of the soundbites on Presto Classical. They were unbelievably horrible - the funeral march of the Eroica, in particular, was a risible travesty. I am 100% behind Hurwitz.

Alan Howe

So am I. As regards the extreme idiocies of HIP there aren't many prepared to say that the emperor has no clothes.

matesic

But it's OK to orchestrate chamber music? When you think about it, piano reductions of symphonies are even sillier.

Alan Howe

I can see the point of piano reductions of symphonies done in the past when, maybe, it was the only way to hear the music; and, of course, some reductions are tours de force pianistically. However, they're not for me either.

Alan Howe

As for orchestrations of chamber music, it all depends. I love what Szell did in orchestrating Smetana's 1st String Quartet: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vatv_Fuo6Ks

matesic

The Smetana orchestration is new on me and most enjoyable - thanks for that!  But Hurwitz's lengthy diatribes bore me. I could go on at considerable length about why I don't like such-and-such but in a way it's disrespectful to those who think differently. Unlikely I know, but it risks persuading them they're "wrong" and spoiling their enjoyment.