Reynaldo Hahn Piano Concerto

Started by 4candles, Tuesday 31 August 2021, 14:25

Previous topic - Next topic

4candles

Anyone who loves the piano concerto by Reynaldo Hahn may like to hear a new recording of the work is on the way from Warner Classics.

With Shani Diluka (piano) and the Orchestre de Chambre de Paris under Hervé Niquet.

Details here.

TerraEpon

semloh

Could you just explain that a bit, please, TerraEpon. Do you mean the choice of music?

TerraEpon

Yeah, but specifically the instrumentation. I know they were going for a bit of a theme but still, it for sure isn't your average.

Alan Howe

It's not for me either - too 'bitty'. I'll be sticking with the Hyperion alternative, coupled with Massenet's PC:
https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/7929415--the-romantic-piano-concerto-15-hahn-and-massenet

dmitterd

I agree, it is very 'bitty' - a shame they couldn't have found a rarity to pair with the Hahn PC, as it is such a good work.

Alan Howe

And that's aside from the issue of whether the new recording of the PC is up to the standard of the Hyperion release.

eschiss1

Is this the work referred to as incomplete concerto on a 2002 Maguelone recording? (Never mind, I see that was a sketch of a cello concerto. Maguelone did record the piano concerto back in 1997, though. Does anyone know how that compares to the Hyperion recording?)

eschiss1

Now I'm curious how the Maguelone recording came to be (in the same year), when the full score of the concerto is so rare, as described by the author to the notes to the Hyperion recording. Interesting. (Listening to the 1930s recording with Tagliaferro as remastered and streamed on a set of French Piano Concertos now.)