Vierne piano works

Started by 4candles, Tuesday 31 August 2021, 14:34

Previous topic - Next topic

4candles

Naxos look to be bringing us a series of recordings of Vierne's piano works with pianist Sergio Monteiro. No other detail on the Presto page, but anyone who knows this music will hopefully welcome this news.

4c

jdperdrix

An excellent version of this usung répertoire is already available by Georges Delvallée (2 CD, Arion, 2010)

dmitterd

What a wonderful way to belatedly celebrate Vierne's 150th anniversary from 2020. The two sets already in existence (the Arion set mentioned by jdperdrix with Georges Delvallée, and Olivier Gardon, released on Timpani in 1995) aren't actually 'complete' as they omit a handful of previously unpublished works which feature in Bärenreiter's 'Complete Works' edition, released in the past decade.  Let's hope these missing works are recorded as part of the Naxos set even though Sergio has utilised the first editions for Volume 1, according to the inlay card.

cheers,
Daniel

semloh

Although I do enjoy it, Vierne's piano music sometimes sounds to me like it should be played on the organ - as if his imagination never entirely breaks free from his preferred instrument.  Rubackyte, on Brilliant Classics CD, is excellent, but I think Gardon on Timpani better catches the atmospheric nature of the preludes.

eschiss1

his piano sound is very definitely "piano" rather than organ in his piano quintet, violin sonata, and cello sonata, which aren't, I think, easily conceivable in alternative organ accompaniments...

semloh

dmitterd

semloh,
I think you have a point; perhaps it has to do with Delvallée also being a (completely brilliant) organist and knowing the organ works so well that he unintentionally plays them as an organist. My co-editor for my publishing work is also a very talented pianist and organist, in equal measure, who performed the complete piano works in Melbourne earlier this year. I do think he was successful in making them sound like piano works rather than organ works played on the piano, and think this was, in a large part, due to careful and deliberate use of the sustaining pedal.

cheers,
Daniel

dmitterd

And also full art available on the Naxos site. I've also spoken to Sergio and can confirm the set will be the "complete" piano works, which is great news!

cheers,
Daniel