Kathleen Lockhart Manning 1890-1951

Started by giles.enders, Sunday 05 September 2021, 14:48

Previous topic - Next topic

giles.enders

Kathleen Lockhart Manning  Born 24.10.1890 Burbank, California.  Died 22.3.1951 Los Angeles.

She married Edward Earle Manning,

Initially, she studied under Elizabeth Eichelburger and later in Paris with Moritz Moszkowski, where she also studied opera. During 1911-1912 She sang in opera both in London and New York. After the death of her husband she began to suffer from mental health issues and ceased to compose.

Orchestra

6 Symphonic poems

Piano Concerto

Chamber

String Quartet

Song

Maids of Mystery 1924
Japanese Ghost Songs:  In the Bamboo, The Maid of Mystery,   pub. by Music Corporation 1924
Sketches of Paris: River-Boats, Lamplighter, The Street Fair, In the Luxembourg Gardens, Absinth, Paris-an Ode. 1925  pub. by G Schirmer
Two Sketches of Childhood:  The Truant, Mother's Cookie.  1926
Sketches of London: The Thames, Fog, Windsor Castle, Toys, June in London. pub. by Carl Fischer NY 1929
Autumn Leaves  words by K L Manning   pub. by G Schirmer 1929
White Clouds 1929
'Water Lily' Louis XV love Song  pub. by Boosey & Co  1923
Chinese Impressions: Pagoda Bells, Incense, Chinoiserie, Nang-ping, Hop Li, the Rickshaw man   1931
Nostalgia  pub. by G Schirmer  1931
Shoes  pub. by G Schirmer 1931
Five Fragments:  Streets, Image, Miss Wing-Fu, Silhouette, Voyage.  pub. by G. Schirmer  1931
Songs of Egypt: Sphinx, Moon rise, Egyptian Loves, Camel Rider, Dusk in the Desert. 1934
Four Songs of Bilitis:  Cradle Song, The Promise, The Night is so Dark, The Last Epitaph 1934
Sketches of New York: Along the East River, Street Scene, Tenement Windows, Greenwich Village Nights, Fifth Avenue, The St.Regis Roof.  1936
The Art Gallery: Mona Lisa, Madonna of the Tear, An Old Portrait, La Carmencita. 1938
Vignetts: 25 songs

Operetta

Mr Wu  1925

For the Soul of Rafael

+ 2 others

Parents, Otis and Cora Lockhart 

Husband, Edward Earle Manning, died 1938

giles.enders

When I posted this, I was hoping someone would have details of the piano concerto and also the six symphonic poems. 

eschiss1

By the way I see a recording of quite a few of her songs was issued in 2003.

Gareth Vaughan

I am on the case, Giles.  Hope to have some information before too long.