Francisco Calés Pina, Symphonies 1-2

Started by Ilja, Tuesday 07 September 2021, 13:03

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

I have filled in the form on their website, so we'll see what happens...

For Munzinger's Symphony in an enthusiastic, but rather provincial-sounding performance:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFj76KuPNdE

terry martyn

18 euros to post it to me in Spain, but only mention of Paypal, with which I have personal issues

terry martyn

But I´ve had a very speedy and helpful message from the recording company and bank transfer is confirmed as fine.

Alan Howe

I made the purchase via PayPal (for 21 euros) and also had a speedy confirmation email from Javier Monteverde.

hyperdanny

Ordered! very smooth and pleasant interaction with mr.Monteverde.

Wheesht

Very quick service, too. My two CDs arrived today (the other one being María de Pablos: Orchestral works).

Alan Howe

My copy of Calés' two symphonies arrived this morning. Superb service!

Alan Howe

...and, from a quick sampling of symphony No.1, this is clearly late-romantic, tuneful, Spanish, occasionally exotic-sounding stuff, rather heavily orchestrated in places, but excitingly so. Extremely enjoyable, in other words. Friends may find the music reminding them of film music and I wouldn't disagree. Respighi's a composer not far removed from Calés' idiom.

Alan Howe

As I suspected, Symphony No.1 is extremely colourful throughout and almost cinematic in its sweep and intensity. Not exactly subtle, but it certainly grabs you. No.2 is more of the same.

Did Calés go on to write film music? He'd've been a natural.

terry martyn

The Spanish post has still not delivered my copy. As the Venetian Ambassador remarked: "If death came from Spain, we should live forever".

hyperdanny

kind of a snide remark, if I were Spanish I think I would be slightly offended ....anyway, back to facts: I got mine this morning, it took 5 days, perfectly normal, especially with a weekend halfway through.
In general, my experiences with Royal Mail have been muuuch worse.....

terry martyn

My repetition of the late Venatian Ambassador´s remark may have rebounded on me. The CD is missing ,nine days after posting, and I have just reported that fact to Cezanne Producciones, and have already got a pleasant,concerned,reply.

Gareth Vaughan

I wouldn't be too concerned. I once ordered something from Spain (not a CD) and it took nearly 5 weeks to arrive after the supplier had informed me it had been despatched. It probably spent most of that time in Spain!

Alan Howe

terry martyn

Sadly, Gareth, I live in Spain, but as an insurance policy arrived today after a month of being in the internal Spanish postal network, Cezanne and I are not despairing yet.

May I thank you, in passing, for being the driving-force behind the delightful CD recording of the Brull Violin Concerto, which gives me so much pleasure?