Francisco Calés Pina, Symphonies 1-2

Started by Ilja, Tuesday 07 September 2021, 13:03

Previous topic - Next topic

Ilja

I don't think this recent release has gotten any attention here so far: the Orquesta de Córdoba released a recording of Francisco Calés Pina's two symphonies, conducted by José Luis Temes.

Both symphonies (the first in A minor, the second in B flat) hail from 1912, and although they sound a bit old-fashioned for their time, they're quite tuneful. I would say they occupy the sound world of someone like Pedro Marques or De Lara (a military man, like Calés Pina), but more refined and grander both in concept and form. Quite a find, I think.

The recordings can be listened to on YouTube (posted by the label, don't worry) or Spotify.

terry martyn

Well,I live in Spain, and had no idea of this release. I like the music of Manrique de Lara and recently acquired that disc.. Not showing up on amazon.es as available to buy yet. Does anyone have detailed buying information,please?

Ilja

The orchestra's website doesn't list it in their discography, either, so my suspicion is that this is a digital-only release. The YouTube video refers to CDBaby, which is a self-publication service - kind of a Lulu.com for music.

Mark Thomas

These two symphonies are completely new to me too, but sound promising judging by some Spotify sampling I've just indulged in. I think I'll invest, thanks for the tip Ilja.

izdawiz

Wow, sound really good..Will put him in my list.. Thank you!! Never head of him.. Very promising

Mark Thomas

This website, with what authority I don't know, gives the date of the Second Symphony as 1915, and given the scale of the two works a three year gap between them does seem more likely.

Ilja

Well, with Röntgen in mind anything's possible I guess, but I agree that this is more likely, especially from a musical amateur with other responsibilities.

semloh

A performance of the very enjoyable 2nd symphony has been up on Corentin Boissier's YT channel for 7 years - same conductor, different orchestra. If the 1st symphony is half as good this release is welcome indeed. Thank you for drawing attention to this, Ilja.

hyperdanny

I have found mention of this release on some Spanish newspapers from the Aragon region (the composer was from Zaragoza) and they all mention a physical release on cd.
On the Heraldo there's even a picture (from the official presentation) with maestro Temes holding it in his hands.
They don't say where one can buy it, though..

PS I am listening to n.1..I guess one could say it's a little over febrile and over long in the manner typical of the symphonies from the period, but it's very very good.Think Schmidt 1 or 2 , without the decadence but with an almost cinematic Latin melodious richness... I find the slow movement ia thing of splendid beauty

Wheesht

The label is Cezanne Producciones but where and how to buy their recordings is not made clear, at least not to me, on their website. I have written to them to ask and am awaiting their reply.

Alan Howe

Thanks. I'll be interested in their reply.

terry martyn

For what it´s worth, I would expect that trito.es would stock it if it had been commercially released yet. The label´s website would seem to be trying it out on Spotify.

Alan Howe

Ilja

My expectation is that this was a very limited regional run, something like the city of Olten did with Munzinger's A major symphony. I'm just grateful it's on YT and Spotify.

Wheesht

I didn't know about the Munzinger symphony, thanks for mentioning this, I'll try and get hold of a copy.

The Cezanne CDs can be had from the label by using the contact button on their website. Payment is via PayPal or money transfer, they cost 21 euros per CD including postage, at least to Switzerland. I have also ordered two CDs with works by female composers:
CZ039 María Rodrigo - Becqueriana
CZ069 María de Pablos - Las Obras Orquestales