Johanne Senfter - Double Violin Concerto & Strings (C min, Op. 40)

Started by Richard Moss, Wednesday 15 September 2021, 16:13

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard Moss

Johanna Senfter was born in 1879 into a wealthy family in Germany where her musical talents were encouraged to flourish. A respected violinist, pianist and philanthropist, she was also a prolific composer, though many of her 130+ works have only been uncovered since her death.

Her beautiful and haunting Elegie for violin and piano is included in the Feminae in Musica album. Previously unrecorded, Senfter's Concerto in C minor for Two Violins and String Orchestra (opus 40) is presented with Ten Old Dances for Two Violins (opus 91) on the Feminae release "Senfter: Compositions for Two Violins".

(above is the blurb from the 'Feminae' web-site)
--------------------------------------------------------
Just noticed this 'new' release when I went to the 'www.feminaerecords.com' web-site for details of the Elisabeth KUYPER violin Concerto, which I've just downloaded from Amazon.

Has anyone any details or experience of this - it is totally new to my (limited) knowledge?

Having enjoyed her symphony No. 4 B min (from UC a few years ago IIRC??), I hope to sample this VC shortly.

Cheers

Richard

Alan Howe

I'm not sure I'd enjoy this very much - the excerpts don't sound too attractive to me:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Senfter-Compositions-Violins-Aleksandra-Maslovaric/dp/B0828N96D6/ref=tmm_msc_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1631722925&sr=1-3

Oh, and by the way: the recording of Kuyper's violin music was roundly condemned as amateurish, despite the attractiveness of the repertoire:
http://www.unsungcomposers.com/forum/index.php/topic,5147.msg54398.html#msg54398

Caveat emptor!

terry martyn

. Unfortunately, I listened to those extracts as well.  Alan is being too kind.

Richard Moss

Having now listened to the Amazon sound-bites, I would have to say that whatever description you might want to apply to this work, 'romantic' wouldn't be at the head of the queue! A la 'Juke Box Jury' mode, this is a miss not a hit.

Cheers

Richard

Alan Howe