Marcelle de Manziarly 1899-1989

Started by giles.enders, Thursday 16 September 2021, 11:30

Previous topic - Next topic

giles.enders

Marcelle de Manziarly (Marckle de Manziarlt De Dellinyeste) born 13.10.1899 Kharkov,Russia- Died Ventura,USA12.5.1989

Her father was French, her mother's surname was Luther. From 1905 the family settled in Paris, where she studied with Nadia Boulanger. She later studied conducting with Felix Weingartner in Basle. Marcelle moved to New York where she took further piano lessons with Isabelle Vengerova. She became a US citizen in 1941. She is described in Cobbett's as exceptionally gifted.

Orchestra

Sonate pour Notre-Dame de Paris for orchestra
Musique pour orchestre
Piano Concerto  1933

Chamber

Piano Trio in F sharp minor pub. by Billaudot 1921
Piano Sonata in F minor  pub. by Senart  1918

Piano

Impressions de Mer
Homage to Scarlatti
6 etudes
Stances
Sonata for two pianos

Song

"La Locomotive" for choir and piano
Three fables de la Fontaine:-words by Jean de la Fontaine 1935
1.La cigale et la fourmi
2.L'oiseau blesse d'une fleche
3.La grenouille qui veut se faire aussigrosse que la boeuf
Pour N.B. for tenor and piano
Trois images slaves
Le Cygne et le cuisinier words by Jean de La Fontaine for mixed vocal quartet and piano
Trois Sonnets de Pétrarque for baritone and piano words by Petrarc
Trilogue
Incidences

Yolande 1904-? sister
Mamma (princess de Manziarlt  -  sister

Alan Howe

I'm unsure about the suitability of this composer's music for discussion at UC. Please could you supply some evidence, Giles?

eschiss1

A few of his later works can be heard on YouTube. I would like to hear some of his pre-1924 works, though, as being conceivably closer to our orbit (or not). (Though his trio from 1952 seems to -me- to be enjoyable enough, that's not really relevant.)

Gareth Vaughan

Eric, Marcelle de Manziarly was a lady!
From the music of hers which is available on YouTube I would say she does not really qualify for inclusion on this forum.

giles.enders

I'm happy for this posting to be deleted if it is thought not appropriate for this forum.

Alan Howe

Let's leave the thread as it is and see whether any earlier works turn up which might be suitable for discussion. Thanks for all your contributions - especially erica's  ;)

eschiss1

Alan Howe

Good to have you back as yourself! Seriously, though, you're a highly valued member of this forum. Keep contributing!