News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

The catchiest Tunes

Started by Steve B, Sunday 26 December 2010, 10:01

Previous topic - Next topic

cjvinthechair

Widor - Sanctus from his Requiem - didn't even know till the other day he wrote choral music, now I can't stop whistling it !

thalbergmad

One of the Herz Nocturnes titled La Dolcezza has been in my brain for months.

Beautiful melody.

Thal

John H White

Bobotox, welcome to our friendly forum. I'm certainly fully in agreement with you on the need for a complete recorded cycle of Franz Lachner's symphonies. I requested more Lachner symphonies from Marco Polo Records around 1995 after they had issued Nos 1, 5 & 8 on CD, but they insisted there were no plans to issue any more recordings of his symphonies. To add insult to injury, when his bicentenary year came along in 2003, they deleted all 3 of them from their catalogue and weren't even decent enough to re-issue them on their Naxos bargain label!
   At the same time, all my efforts to get the BBC to do something about Lachner's bi-centenary came to naught. It seems, the BBC's attitude is, "we know what's good for you, and we aren't going to be influenced by any old crackpot out there advocating some obscure composer that we haven't heard of."
    I still believe Lachner's day will come; but probably not in my lifetime.

jimmosk

Thank you for all the reminders of tunes that, just by reading their names, start themselves up in my head! (Those I've heard, anyway. I shall certainly try to locate the Gänsbacher, and see if somewhere I already own the Widor...)

It's almost become a famous piece at this point, but I'm going to put in a plug for the third movement of Wilhelm Stenhammar's 2nd Symphony, a dance that seems to return unbidden to my brain several times every week.

-J

--
Jim Moskowitz
The Unknown Composers Page: http://kith.org/jimmosk/TOC.html
My latest list of unusual classical CDs for auction: http://tinyurl.com/jimsCDs

Revilod

Yes...I have exactly the same problem with that movement from that Stenhammar symphony!