Glazunov - What is Opus 97??

Started by Richard Moss, Thursday 30 September 2021, 19:18

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard Moss

I've seen two works, both with this same Opus number attributed to them. 

These works are (i) Song of the Volga Boatmen (Hyperion and elsewhere) and (ii) Theme and Variations in G minor for strings (Google search).  Can anyone shed any light on this please?

Thanks

Richard

Mark Thomas

According to IMSLP's work list they are both Op.97. Looks like they had different publishers who allocated the same number to different works, although the score of the Theme & Variations at IMSLP doesn't actually show an opus number, whereas their copy of The Song of the Volga Boatmen does.

Alan Howe

TerraEpon

Quote from: Mark Thomas on Thursday 30 September 2021, 22:05
According to IMSLP's work list they are both Op.97. Looks like they had different publishers who allocated the same number to different works, although the score of the Theme & Variations at IMSLP doesn't actually show an opus number, whereas their copy of The Song of the Volga Boatmen does.

From what I can tell from my own list, the original version of Theme and Variations, for String Quartet and Double Bass has no opus number. The String Orchestra version, however, is Op. 97 (along with Song of the Volga Boatman, as mentioned.....which has a piano version which may be spurious. Quite the web of craziness)

Richard Moss

Thanks for the replies guys.  Mystery remains!  As a non-expert, it is so frustrating when I inadvertently duplicate repertoire simply because the Opus No or work title gives the appearance of something being another work. Similarly, often the keys, composition dates or 'tempi' are reported differently in different places.

Ah well - for those of use who like a bit or order to things, the world is a muddled place at the best of times so no surprise classical music also suffers in this respect. But, as a wise man said (to paraphrase someone else), don't try and change those things you can't - live with it!

If anyone can recommend a 'usually reliable', free-access, comprehensive source outside of WIKI to cross-check in future, I'd appreciate the update.

Cheers

Richard

Mark Thomas

I'm not sure what you mean by "outside of WIKI", Richard, but I usually find that IMSLP is solidly reliable because one can check against the actual scores available there, so it's as near a primary source as one can get online.

Christopher

Without having heard it (I will listen when I get a chance) could it be that the theme IS the Song of the Volga Boatmen which is a very traditional Russian tune and used by quite a few composers? And that both names have come to be used to refer to Op.97?

TerraEpon

Looking at the theme, no most assuredly not.

Alan Howe

Richard Moss

Mark,

Thanks for the link.  I have gone to IMSLP on quite a few occasions and found no reference to some of the major works (e.g. symphonies or concertos)  of a particular composer. Where the work is there, then clearly it does give good information on date, opus no, tempi etc.

Conversely, I get the impression that WIKI seems to cover a lot more works but not necessarily with the same accuracy and not being a musicologist, I never now when it's right (or wrong!)

Cheers

Richard

TerraEpon

Obviously this is straying off topic, but it really depends. Sometimes Wikipedia is better, sometimes IMSLP, sometimes they are literally the same list (though Wikipedia has usually gone through a number of edits since more than IMSLP).