Recording of Raff's Samson

Started by Mark Thomas, Friday 01 October 2021, 08:06

Previous topic - Next topic

Justin

I am very impressed by the widescreen monitor used for the sound mixing. Alan and Mark probably have one just like it for managing this forum. ;D

Also looking forward to the Schoeck release!

Alan Howe

QuoteI am very impressed by the widescreen monitor used for the sound mixing. Alan and Mark probably have one just like it for managing this forum. ;D

Mark's the tech guy. Everything's steam-driven at this end.  ;)

Mark Thomas

Oh yes, all 1990s equipment here!

adcsound

Dear Friends,

Graziella from Schweizer Fonogramm asked me to prepare a short extract from Samson.
I'm allowed to post it here before she does on her social media.
Here is the end of Act1.
http://www.adcsound.ch/VideosPhotosDocuments/Samson_Acte1_765FIN.mp3

Enjoy!

Fred.

Mark Thomas

Terrific! Raff in full Lohengrin/Tannhäuser mode (only joking). I can't wait for the release of the set. Thanks Fred.

Alan Howe

All I can say is 'wow!' This is going to be a major recording event!

Gareth Vaughan

I heartily agree - most impressive.

adcsound

Alan Howe

Danke sehr! Und frohe Weihnachten!

We are sooooo looking forward to this release!

Alan Howe

Release date: Frühjahr 2024, i.e. Spring next year.

adcsound

Quote from: Alan Howe on Sunday 24 December 2023, 09:47Release date: Frühjahr 2024, i.e. Spring next year.
Probably begining of March. The audio is already finished but I think the booklet is taking longer than expected...

Graziella will also be working with a new marketing team in Berlin and it's a great idea. Schweizer Fonogramm productions should have more visibility and a greater marketing return than at present. That's important for the development of the label.
This new team needs the final product 8 weeks before the official release.

"Samson" was a very big budget and if the label doesn't get more financial returns than usual, there won't be any more opera productions because they are much more expensive than symphony productions.

Raff's 'Dame Kobold' is already in discussion but 'Samson' has to be a success first.
It's better to release a few weeks later but in better marketing conditions, which is in everyone's interest.

Fred.

Alan Howe

I agree - and I quite understand the need for a suitable period of preparation before the release of Samson. It is likely to be one of the most important operatic releases of 2024, especially as large-scale studio productions are becoming increasingly rare these days, so it needs to be launched with as loud a trumpet-blast (if one may put it like that) as possible. I'm sure, therefore, that we all wish your team every success over the coming months.

Frohe Weihnachten - und prosit Neujahr!

adcsound

Dear friends,

Next Saturday (February the 3rd) at 10am (Swiss local time), there'll be an interview with Philippe Bach, the Samson's "baton".
Tittle of the interview: "Kaffee mit dem Dirigenten Philippe Bach - alles Raff?".

You should have the opportunity to listen to some few extracts of the opera, the radio asked me for some audio material.

Alan Howe

Thanks for this important notification. Much appreciated!

Central European Time/Swiss local time is currently one hour ahead of UK time, so this programme will be broadcast at 9am our time.

Alan Howe

Excitement is mounting for this release. Must be imminent - Spring is just about here...