Röntgen symphonies from cpo

Started by Mark Thomas, Friday 01 October 2021, 09:32

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

edurban

US Amazon release date Nov 5.  I've preordered.  Should be very enjoyable.

Gareth Vaughan

Quotetook 15 years from recording till release

I hope we don't have to wait another 15 years before we hear the rest of their Roentgen cycle (if it is complete, that is) - and that goes for Raff's 5th String Quartet too. I may be in my grave by then!

Alan Howe

Alan Howe

This is profoundly musical music, if you know what I mean. It's music deliberately written, as it were, to sign off the classical symphonic tradition, i.e. with a deep sense of what lies in the past and how it might still be built upon, even well into the 20th century. It's also music at the opposite end of the spectrum from Mahler, Bruckner, etc., i.e. the composers whose giganticism appeared to define the closing phase of symphonic writing in 'the tradition' before modernism, neo-classicism, etc. developed a new language for writers of symphonies. Röntgen here proves that the classical romantic language was far from played out.

This is also music that you really have to listen hard to - not that the music's hard in itself, but as soon one notes that the longest work here (No.7) lasts 21:57 and the shortest 9:54, then the issue for the listener, even the most sympathetic one, is concentration. If one isn't listening, the music will simply pass one by.

Anyway, this is fabulous music, utterly unlike anyone else's, yet equally clearly standing on the shoulders of those who went before. Try it and discover a musician's musician, a genius who'll likely never be recognised as such because he doesn't make a big, splashy noise. However, for those with ears to hear, this'll be music to feed you for a lifetime. And there is noise - my goodness, there is!

Gareth Vaughan

I agree with every word, Alan. A beautiful CD of sensitive, intelligent, gloriously melodic music by a first rate composer. Incidentally,  Dave Hurwitz rates his music highly too.

Alan Howe

Thanks, Gareth. What a set this is! It should sell a million copies. It won't, of course, because the music has no high-profile performers as advocates. Instead we have the Philadelphia Orchestra under Nézet-Séguin recording Florence Price...

Mark Thomas

I'll just content myself with agreeing with everything Alan writes in both the above posts.

M. Yaskovsky

Sadly, Rontgen's symphonies aren't performed by Dutch leading symphony orchestras. I love the cpo recordings; buy all of them. There's a very interesting biography of Rontgen written by Jurjen Vis, alas in Dutch only https://www.opusklassiek.nl/cd-recensies/cd-gsch/gschroentgen01.htm. Although Rontgen's name is on the balcony of the Royal Concertgebouw, I can't remember when the RCO played one of his compositions for the last time (and I visit the RCO since 1959...) https://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bestand:R%C3%B6ntgen-Concertgebouw.jpg

semloh

I agree entirely with your eloquent assessment of this music, Alan. I am frankly surprised that it isn't a staple of the Dutch concert repertoire - I rather naively assumed it would be. Presumably for financial reasons, some of the world's great orchestras actually undermine their own integrity by failing to champion great music.

eschiss1

the autograph ms of the Wirbel has been at IMSLP for some time btw if anyone wants to follow this new recording with it :)

Ilja

Quote from: semloh on Thursday 14 October 2021, 11:37
I agree entirely with your eloquent assessment of this music, Alan. I am frankly surprised that it isn't a staple of the Dutch concert repertoire - I rather naively assumed it would be. Presumably for financial reasons, some of the world's great orchestras actually undermine their own integrity by failing to champion great music.

As we know, musical quality is only one of many factors (and often, not even the most prevalent one) that determines admission to the repertory. If if were not, we'd have regular performances of the lovely Verhulst symphony, some Van Gilse, and of course far more Röntgen. As it is, the only romantic Dutch works played with any regularity are a few Wagenaar overtures here and there (usually the Don Juan-esque Cyrano de Bergerac), or perhaps some Diepenbrock in a Mahler-dominated concert. Our self-loathing really gets the better of us, unfortunately.

Mark Thomas

I've just been listening to Symphony No.11 from this set. What a pocket-battleship of a piece this is, packing a really powerful emotional punch in its single 15 minute span. A set of variations on a theme stated in the atmospheric introduction, building up to a blazing conclusion, it has an intensity and sheer rightness missing from many symphonies several times its length. And the booklet notes say the 75 year old Röntgen composed it in only two days! 

eschiss1

Tangentially, more performances of Brandts Buys (Johannes and family) wouldn't be taken amiss either, or Bree of the Allegro for 4 quartets and other works.

I've added the Röntgen release on my Amazon Music playlist and intend to give it a few listens soon...

Entropy

Thanks Mark and Gareth! It seems like we are only a couple of CDs away from a complete cycle--and hopefully a complete box. The newest release is listed on Amazon now.